Foreplay III redux Fi edition

Thermioniclife · 8641

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #30 on: August 04, 2020, 11:25:01 AM
Ok, more progress. I have all the wiring done on the front panel except for the grid and plate wires soldered which will happen in the next day or two, after i bend the front panel. I have cut and bent the F.W. finger protectors, they are ready to install. and lastly the input panel is bent and the input padding resistors are installed. Btw we are in the midst of the first tropical storm of the season, anybody want want to come to the north fork of Long Island N.Y. to pick up some fallen limbs? Hey Doc i heard that lawn care is your side job.
Sorry, i just could not resist. I know, i'm a jackass. Peace, Love and happiness to all.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:31:34 AM by Thermioniclife »

Lee R.

Deke609

Reply #31 on: August 04, 2020, 11:45:02 AM
Nice!  How did you bend the perforated sheet (aka FW finger protectors)?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 11:47:20 AM
Oh, bad timing, what a shame. Our son and his fiance postponed their garden wedding until next year and I have temporarily retired from landscraping. But I will send pleasant thoughts your way as you sweat over the chainsaw and chipper.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 01:09:36 PM
Roger That Doc, Sorry To here that u Are not available, perhaps i can find someone else. Say hi to Queen For me, Luv you both.
Deke, i bent the F.W. protectors by hand using the last flat(unbent panel) with the standoff's installed and a couple of spring clamps to hold the previously bent corner. Again, P.L.and H to all. I'm out 4 Tonight.

Lee R.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #34 on: August 04, 2020, 02:23:26 PM
Hi Lee,

I'm a reformed Long Islander from Suffolk County. Good luck with the weather event.

Hey I have something cool if you want it (and if I can find it). Bottlehead often presents, "while supplies last" type offers. For example recently a premium RCA 12AU7 clear top was offered with the next X number of Crack kits... That sort of thing. Well years ago when I bought my FPIII the goodie was a Vitamin Q bypass cap for the 0D3. I upgraded to the Extended Foreplay which eliminates the 0D3. Somewhere I have that cap still attached to an octal socket. I no longer have a need for it if you want it. I can also put some NOS 0D3 tubes in the box. No charge to you. I'll even pay for slow boat shipping. Just let me know.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 03:07:48 AM
Hey Natural Sound,
I got lucky this time, no damage and never lost electricity. Just a bunch of limbs and branches down.
Thanks for the generous offer but you should keep those items, you never know when that cap may come in handy.
Thanks again,
Regards.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #36 on: August 06, 2020, 06:13:08 AM
Okey Dokey, I am so close to hearing music. Got the front panel completely wired as well as the power and input panels.
All that is left is to hook up the B+ and heater wiring.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #37 on: August 06, 2020, 11:57:32 AM
Hey Folks, I know some of you may find this hard to believe but, I AM AN IDIOT!
I finished the wiring and did a resistance check and all seemed fine( i thought)
I then plugged the power in and the monkey flipped the switch. The 0D3 fired up nicely measured 146 vdc on the plates awesome!
then when the tubes started to conduct the B+ dropped out. As it turned out when i ordered the parts i needed i inadvertently ordered 22.1 ohm 1w resistors instead of 22.1k resistors. Lesson learned is that when i did the resistance check i missed the fact that it didn't show that little K after the value. I'm a dope.
So i have an order with Mouser, should receive them on monday. I assembled the chassis and took some pics any way.
I still need to fab the brackets that will hold the feet in place, i guess i should focus on that until Monday
Peace Out.

Lee R.

Deke609

Reply #38 on: August 06, 2020, 12:32:40 PM
BTDT. I can commiserate: http://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11138.msg102956#msg102956

Amp looks awesome though!

cheers, Derek

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #39 on: August 06, 2020, 01:22:21 PM
Thanks Derek,
It was a nice challenge to design the chassis plates and associated electronics for this project, it seemed to daunting to me to do so
when i built the Fauxplay III, i decided to build a more traditional design. But i have always liked the look of Don Garbers designs and i am sure i will love this preamp once i get it sorted out.
I may have to build a 2a3 or 300b amp in that style to compliment this preamp.
Regards,
Lee.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #40 on: August 10, 2020, 08:45:57 AM
The planning and construction journey has ended but the listening experience has just begun.
The correct resistors arrived today and they are installed, it works! and sounds good like a FP3 should!
I'm revealing my inspiration for the first time. I also just noticed that the power trans is mounted crooked, i guess i will have to take that panel off and adjust. Enjoy the pic's

Lee R.

Offline grufti

Reply #41 on: August 10, 2020, 10:21:44 AM
That's a great work of craftsmanship and imagination. Congratulations

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #42 on: August 10, 2020, 10:44:35 AM
Thanks for compliment Grufti, but i can't take the credit for the design element. That credit goes to a man by the name of Don Garber.
He built a line of amps and preamps in this style. As far as the circuit the credit goes to Paul Joppa, i merely used different tubes.
Regards,
Lee

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #43 on: August 10, 2020, 10:45:59 AM
Don would be flattered. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #44 on: August 10, 2020, 11:05:49 AM
Thanks PB, I wish had the chance to meet him.

Lee R.