Quick Alps Blue Question

A Jedi · 1604

Offline A Jedi

on: July 28, 2020, 08:20:39 AM
Will be replacing the stock pot for an Alps Blue - I assume the 100K Ohm version is what I need?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:25:44 AM by A Jedi »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:33:43 AM
Yes, 50K-250K logarithmic.  Be sure not to buy the MN taper pot.  Be sure not to buy a pot with solder lugs (that would mean it's a fake).  Also be sure to buy the companion PC board to stabilize the pins on the pot, as you do not want to solder wires to them.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline A Jedi

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 08:58:01 AM
Thanks. What's difference between say the 50K and 250K versions in terms of volume? I wouldn't mind having a bit more knob travel to get up to volume. Currently I'm at full volume at like 10% volume. Would the 250K version make more sense for me?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 10:27:29 AM
Thanks. What's difference between say the 50K and 250K versions in terms of volume?
There isn't one.  The 50K part will load down your sources more than the 250K part will.  With nothing plugged into the amp and the volume pot all the way up, the 250K part will let a little more ambient noise into the amplifier.  The 250K part will tend to give a little more treble rolloff as well compared to the 50K part.  100K is our preferred compromise value, but I wouldn't hesitate to use 50K too.

I wouldn't mind having a bit more knob travel to get up to volume. Currently I'm at full volume at like 10% volume. Would the 250K version make more sense for me?
This is covered in Crack FAQ #3:
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=4295.0
This has nothing to do with the impedance of the pot.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline A Jedi

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:21:09 AM
Thank you sir.

Offline Joe Garfield

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 07:29:06 PM
I bought the Alps pot. After mounting it and getting half way through wiring my amp I decided to wait and get the PCB breakout board for it. It's possible to direct-solder the pins on the RK27 pot, but every other connection in the amp is much more robust, so I felt like eliminating the weakest link was the obvious decision. Just sharing one person's perspective...

Joe Marri
Modi MB > Crack > HD650

Offline Laudanum

Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 09:27:19 AM
I soldered directly to the pins and it's been fine for 8 years.  I know it's not recommended but I've been pretty decent with a iron for a long time.   I finally bought a board about a year ago but I would have had to trim some wood away from the inside of the box in order for the board to clear.   I didn't feel like the extra work with everything working peachy as is so I went with the "if it ain't broke ... " approach and skipped it.   Maybe I'll eventually get around to it.  Or maybe someone makes a smaller board???

I'd definitely use the board if I had it before I changed the pot to the ALPS but I didn't even realize a mounting board existed back when I did it. 

Desmond G.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 10:16:38 AM
Also be sure to buy the companion PC board to stabilize the pins on the pot, as you do not want to solder wires to them.
I've used a piece of perf-board in the past and made my own stabilizer/strain relief. It worked pretty good.

Offline Joe Garfield

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 09:12:37 PM
There are a couple of different boards out there. Some of them have the holes for the wires below the pot, others have them to the sides of the pot. I wouldn't/won't use the board if I have to cut wood to make it fit.

Joe Marri
Modi MB > Crack > HD650

Offline Markkr

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 04:43:48 PM
Can anyone point to a PCB available in the US? The only ones I see on eBay are overseas with a month long wait. Thanks.

Offline grufti

Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 06:28:50 PM
Shipping info on international shipping is pretty much useless these days. I received two different shipments from mainland China in less than ten days recently with most of that time spent in the US between a west coast port and a west coast address. The auction site predicted about 45 days for those. I also received a shipment from Northern Italy about six weeks ago that took nearly six weeks to get here at an average speed of about 10 km/h. I would just roll the dice, if I were you.

Offline Deluk

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 01:02:39 AM
Cheap from China. Buy several. They might have an offer on multiple buys. Offer extras on this forum and make a few cents later.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 05:20:05 AM
There are other nice pots with solder lugs that are available in the US if the wait time for the PC board is too long.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline jivex5k

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 08:19:32 AM
Yeah, the PCB from China stopped me from getting an alps. I ended up spending a bit more and grabbed an Audio Note pot that has lugs from here:
https://www.partsconnexion.com/ANVPOT-81914.html

You have to enlarge the hole for it slightly, I used a hand reamer, didn't take much. The stock knob should fit, might sit a bit high up though. I spent a little more to get a new knob from the same site. I was skeptical about spending around 80 bucks on a pot/knob combo but am happy with the result. I justified it by telling myself "at least I didn't get a TKD pot".

If you do grab the audio note, make sure it's for volume, a lot of people seem to mistakenly install the one for balance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:23:01 AM by jivex5k »

Offline Markkr

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 08:43:08 AM
Got it, thanks for the replies!