help

abaloghtesla · 3376

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 03:09:15 PM
Let me try to get this through my thick scull. Even though I do the upgrade ,the gain will still be less than what the Moreplay would give you.

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 04:33:55 PM
whats the best route? Do an upgrade with my kit on the way or look for a moreply??

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 06:48:43 PM
Start with the Integration upgrade. It will give you more gain and improve the dynamics and bass a bit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 01:04:27 AM
Paul---Thank you again. Will do the upgrade

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: August 27, 2020, 10:59:52 AM
Also, you can modify the Stereomour balance control to increase the gain. I'll do the calculation, but you should get around 3dB from this and 4dB from the Reduction C4S. I'll do some calculations ...

Paul Joppa

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 10:41:13 AM
Paul-this is in reply to the upgrade, I finished the shunt regulator. here are my voltage measurements. On metal tab assoc with 1A I get 109.5 v.(110 to 120v) . the second metal tab assoc with 1B, I get 109.0 v(110v to 120v) and with terminal56 I get 128.5 v(130v). With these voltages should I proceed with the rest of the up-grade?        Art

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #21 on: August 30, 2020, 10:47:33 AM
Paul--was not sure if you got my last post---if so, then dis-regard.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2020, 12:47:28 PM
Those seem OK. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 12:59:01 PM
Thanks--Will proceed forward!

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 02:13:02 PM
Upgrade finished but there was a slight gain in volume but not what I'm looking for.I need some kind of amp that can drive that stereomore to full potential( like PAT 4 driving it). Maybe I'm reaching too far this pre-amp. I'm lost.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 02:37:32 PM
You could put a Moreplay between the Stereomour and the Reduction.

If you had a Stereomour II, there would be another mod or two to increase gain a bit, but gain is pretty high on the Stereomour I already. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #26 on: September 01, 2020, 03:24:28 PM
Not to be disrespectful of any who works for Bottlehead, for all you people have given your best, but if I had to build one more kit at this time, I would burst

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: September 01, 2020, 07:41:40 PM
I went through the whole thread (again), and I downloaded the PAT-4 manual as well - and I am still not 100% confident that we are working the right problem. We have been working a 5-10dB problem but your descriptions seem to indicate a 15-20dB problem. Language is not precise enough to be sure what the real problem is. Here are some questions I still have:

* Is this a Stereomour I or a Stereomour II? Both have appeared in the posts, at different times. (S.II has a balance control; S.I does not.) As PB noted, that makes a difference in what adjustments might be made.

* When you took output from the Reduction to Stereomour to speakers, where did you set the PAT-4 volume control to get an acceptable loudness? Did you use

--1-- turntable to Pat4 phono input, PAT-4 output to Stereomour input, Stereomour output to speakers, or

--2-- turntable to Reduction input, Reduction output to PAT-4 high-level input, PAT-4 output to Stereomour, input, Stereomour output to speakers?

This will help us guess the magnitude of the problem, but if it doesn't help enough there is more that can be done. I am aware that this is getting to be a long slog, but don't lose faith yet!

Paul Joppa

Offline grufti

Reply #28 on: September 01, 2020, 08:08:44 PM
I am confused by this persistent problem. It shouldn't really exist in the first place. Please correct my calculations, if I'm getting this wrong.

OP has a cartridge that is listed as 5.5mV - 5cm/sec. Reduction gain is 36dB @ 1kHz. Stereomour needs 0.4V at the input for full power.

5.5mV * 63V/V = 346.5mV.  The Stereomour is just about 1.25dB below full output with that ... and 5.5mV is by no means the maximum voltage that's ever going to come out of the cartridge. The PAT-4 can't possibly be playing much louder than that through the Stereomour.

Puzzled

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #29 on: September 02, 2020, 01:37:46 AM
Later on today I will hook up my PAT4 to see what my settings are. But I did have it set up to #1---I do have a stereomore 11   Current set up is Fluance turntable with blue cartridge into the reduc tion pre-amp, into the stereomore11 into blumenstein marlin speakers. I have volume control all the way up on stereomore11 and I can sit 3 feet from the speakers and listen to them comfortably. When i use the output of turntable, into PAT4, into stereomore11---yes, Ican pump so music out, that I have to turn down the volume of stereomore11. Right now I just need to hook up everything eliminating the reduction amp and replacing it with the PAT4, and seeing where my controls are placed on both units.