help

abaloghtesla · 3395

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #30 on: September 02, 2020, 04:13:53 AM
Great! Now, when you find where the controls are set, leave them there and swap in the Reduction - turntable to reduction input, reduction output to PAT-4 high level input (Radio for instance) and see if it is louder or not.

If I read the PAT-4 specs correctly, it should be louder with Reduction. (PAT-4 phono stage is 34dB gain, Reduction with upgrade is 40dB.) If it is louder as expected, then we'll know the Reduction is working correctly and we can interpret the control settings to determine how much more gain you need.

Paul Joppa

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #31 on: September 02, 2020, 03:16:18 PM
to Paul Joppa: Finally got  to look at my set up. All control knobs are centered. With the reduction in is is a little louder but not that much. I can turn volume control all way max and I still can listen to this record. I can increase volume on PAT4 and I cannot max it,  cause its so loud.

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #32 on: September 02, 2020, 04:07:38 PM
Forget the last sentence or so--it sounded jibber-ish  When the reduction amp is in the ckt with PAT4 , it was louder but not by very much. Not enough to right home about.

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #33 on: September 02, 2020, 04:18:56 PM
Its late now in pittsburgh--I'm signing off.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #34 on: September 02, 2020, 06:14:09 PM
That's great - I know it's slow but we've made a lot of progress and we're nearly there.

* We knew going in that you need more loudness capability

* We've determined that the Stereomour is able to drive your speakers to adequate loudness, provided it gets enough input signal - so it's worth the effort to look for more gain

* With this last experiment, we've determined that the Reduction is working correctly.

*  We know from the specs that the PAT-4 line section gain is 20dB, and you have reported that it is more than enough - so you need more than zero extra gain, and less than 20dB.

Now we just need to determine how much more gain you need:

With the Reduction in the system with the PAT-4, turn the PAT-4 volume control all the way up. Adjust the volume with the Stereomour control until it's "loud enough", and post back where that volume control is set. It will be more than 12 o'clock (straight up) and less than 5:00 (the maximum). Be as exact as you can - the control is most sensitive between about 12:00 and 2:00 and I expect that's where you will end up.

[Note that I have assumed you have attached the volume knob so that its range is from 5:00 to 11:00, so that 12:00 straight up is exactly the midpoint of the rotation.]

Paul Joppa

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #35 on: September 03, 2020, 03:00:09 AM
Ok The phono is hooked up to input of reduction and its output is hooked up to Tuner input of PAT4. Volume control of PAT4 is turned fully clockwise. Volume control of stereomore rotates from approx. 7:00 to 5:00 and 12:00 approx. center. As I move  volume  from 7:00 to 9:00 there is as significant increase in volume(very loud) At this point, if I turned the volume contol to midpoint, I would not have any windows in this house.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #36 on: September 03, 2020, 12:56:51 PM
Well THAT was unexpected!

I must have made an assumption that was not true. I am now wondering whether there might be an issue with the Stereomour volume controls.  Let's try repeating the same test, but with Stereomour volume all the way up, and use the PAT-4 volume control to find the "adequately loud" point. If that falls in the 12:00 to 2:00 range, then there is an issue with the Stereomour after all. If it turns out to be 9:00 then I am perplexed and we'll need to get more methodical, which I have been trying to avoid.

While you're at it, check whether both channels are equally loud with the Stereomour balance control centered, or if you need to set it a little off center.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #37 on: September 03, 2020, 01:16:28 PM
Also triple check that you have 12AT7s in the Stereomour and not something else.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #38 on: September 03, 2020, 03:00:17 PM
Back again: yes I have 12 AT7 in there. I had a little tbl with the left  chan tube on the reduction and after playing with it, I got it to stay on. I re-ckt position of all knobs to see if they were all equi-distant of my marks.Yes, the right chan seems alittle stronger that the left, but by not much ------The second test has same results as first. You start getting comfortable"Tea" music at 0900 and it gets gradually "loud" at 1200 and beyond that, I can audition for Woodstock. Now, I tried it backand forth for at least 5 times and both ways have approx. the same results.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #39 on: September 03, 2020, 04:51:58 PM
Thanks, that's a help.

You got loud with the Stereomour control at 9:00 and with the PAT-4 at 12:00. Everything I know says they should have been the same, so I suspect you may have switched the tone and balance potentiometers - that would explain the difference. We can check that further by just measuring the input resistance of the Stereomour with the tone control centered and at each extreme. I think this is worth pursuing, just to be sure the amp is working correctly.

But that will have only a small effect on loudness. Everything I know says that the gain of the PAT-4 with the volume set to the midpoint is 1.0, or 0dB. Which says you don't need more gain. But you do! We can pursue that issue by making real gain measurements on both Reduction and Stereomour. Usually PB recommends  using your cellphone as a signal generator, and making voltage measurements at various places including some internal to the amps.

However, it will take a while to get through this exercise. And I completely understand if you need to take a break from this and just get some tunes playing - in which case, you still need some gain, unless you keep the PAT-4 in the circuit.  So I'll suggest that you could purchase an inexpensive preamp to get things going - for example, the Schiit Modi [edit - Magni is what I meant] is a $99 headphone amp that works as a preamp as well, and provides 15dB of gain. I have no direct experience with it, but they are well regarded.

We'll keep working on either or both issues as long as you are wish. We're not going anywhere, so if you want to take a break and pick it up again in a couple months, that's fine too.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 05:53:48 AM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #40 on: September 03, 2020, 05:12:06 PM
I may have said this wrong but this is what I meant: both test that you suggested me to do were almost identical in outcome. I'll check the amp out. Goodnight

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #41 on: September 04, 2020, 01:15:49 AM
Sorry to bother you again. Looking into schitts products and already I am confused. They have two products for 99$. The modi 1 is actually  modi 3 DACS. The headphone amp is either the magni3+ or the magni heresy headphone amp? Need help again

Offline oguinn

Reply #42 on: September 04, 2020, 01:37:01 AM
He probably meant the Magni. The Modi is a DAC and not an amp. I think the Magni and the Magni Heresy both have 15 dB of gain, so you should look at both and see which you might prefer. Schiit has specs for both on the same page.

You could also just buy both and return the one you don’t like within the return window. They charge a 15% restocking fee, I think.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #43 on: September 04, 2020, 04:42:22 AM
I wouldn't be adding a preamp quite yet.  I would go through the tests to be sure the S2 is working.  After that we have two modifications to suggest that will raise the gain more.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #44 on: September 04, 2020, 05:58:53 AM
Yes, Magni was what I meant - i apologize for my confusion. I have edited my post.

Paul Joppa