No voltage reading D1, D4 with DC Filament Upgrade

Twodawgzz · 1705

Offline Twodawgzz

on: August 09, 2020, 12:39:34 PM
Getting plenty frustrated.  A1, A4 voltage reading was fine.  D1, D4 reading was zero.  Checked all solder joints and added solder to a couple.  D1, D4 reading was fine.  Moved chassis to frame and turned on.  Wouldn't play and only one 2A3 heated up.  Back to the table.  Rechecked everything about 6 times and can't get any voltage reading from D1, D4.  Stuck at this point with no idea what to do next while enjoying great sound from my Transcendent Sound amplifier. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 01:12:51 PM
Can you post some photos of your installation?

Definitely do not try to listen to an amp that doesn't pass its voltage checks! 

There are many things that could cause 0V related to the DC filament upgrade board.  On the offending side, I would measure the AC voltage at the input terminals (that connect down to the power transformer), then measure the DC voltage at the output terminals (that go to the socket).

If you have one backwards cap or diode, that would cause this problem.  If you have a broken wire, that would also cause this problem.  A bad solder joint on the filament filter choke on the board would also cause this problem.

Visually, be sure everything on that board is consistent between sides. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Twodawgzz

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 06:09:33 AM
Here is a picture of the installation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X5eeqg2mzomftPA2cHkC1ibyJX8eyWnh/view?usp=sharing

I just checked AC and DC voltages on the DC filament upgrade board.  A, which was giving good voltage readings, read AC 3.24 and DC 2.99.  D, which gave no voltage readings, read AC 3.35 and DC 0.

Any suggestions as to what to look for next?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 06:47:42 AM
I would pop both wires out of the "DC" side of the board, unscrew the board, lift it up, then post a photo or two of the bottom.

Having proper ~3V AC at the input and 0V DC at the output would mean a short dragging the output down (unlikely) or something not well soldered on the bottom of the board.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline AB2KH

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 07:07:34 AM
Looking at the photo the right side DC out looks as though the POS + terminal is not properly soldered, flow it out and see if that solves your problem.

Offline grufti

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 06:09:51 PM
AB2KH might have found your trouble spot. You can try that first and if it doesn't work you can still pop those wires out and check underneath.

Offline Twodawgzz

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 07:35:23 AM
Flowing solder at the DC Pos + terminal did not fix the problem.

Here are photos of the underside of the DC Filament board and the wiring.  Anything see anything suspect?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iGEWe-dMyxuyYqRGlYJwTNxcnqfgc3CB/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nnVe9Tbky1WKv7yeMpQmsXBqhI48W3pD/view?usp=sharing

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 07:52:16 AM
You can apply a whole lot more heat to those solder joints on the bottom of that board.  This is especially true for the choke and diode solder joints. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline grufti

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 09:10:26 AM
You can see how the solder didn't flow to the bottom of the PCB around the green wires. That is a sign of not enough heat. It is very likely that some of the other joints have the same problem. Apply more heat until you see the solder flow and get sucked in. At first the solder just sits there as you reheat the joint and then most of it seems to disappear. Now you have a good joint. That change is very visible to someone with young eyes and to older eyes with good light and magnification.

Offline Twodawgzz

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 01:50:30 PM
Okay, I flowed more solder onto the choke, diode, and DC joints.  I now get voltage readings for AC and DC, but they're outside of the ranges in the instructions.

Voltages are supposed to read between 2.375 - 2.625.

My AC voltages are both 3.19.  My DC voltages are 2.86 and 2.88.

Is this okay?  Or do I need to swap out resistors as mentioned in instructions?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 02:13:42 PM
With one probe on A1 and one probe on A4, what DC voltage do you get?

With one probe on D1 and one probe on D4, what DC voltage do you get?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Twodawgzz

Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 08:22:39 AM
Oh yeah, duh.

Voltage readings were 2.49 for A1/A4 and 2.54 for D1/D4.  So I'm good to go.

Thank you so much to Paul Birkeland, grufti, and AB2KH for your help.  I'm really appreciating how a solder joint must be hot hot hot and substantial.

Now on to the next upgrade.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 08:29:01 AM
The tough part to learn is how much heat some of these components take.  Something like our little HLMP diodes have no mass to them and very little metal to draw heat away from the solder joint, so they can be soldered in a few seconds.  Something like those filament chokes on that PC board have thick wires winding through them sitting on top of a metal core that will also tend to soak up some heat, so it is just more difficult to get the joint up to temperature because you are fighting the parts themselves.  This effect is amplified if you're using an iron instead of a station, as a soldering station can just add more power as the tip of the iron requires it. 

In any case, I'm glad you got things up and running!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Twodawgzz

Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 08:18:30 AM
Hooked everything up after voltage readings were correct.  Now I get sound out of only one speaker.  Same thing when I switch cables, switch L&R inputs (1, 2, or 3), switch L&R outputs on my preamp, and change sources.

Any clues as to where to look for the problem?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 01:31:12 PM
Check your DC voltages in the kit.

Paul "PB" Birkeland