Another BeePre lives!

pduk · 731

Offline pduk

on: August 12, 2020, 02:29:15 AM
Having been a very happy listener to, initially, the Crack and then the Kaiju, I got the urge for a Covid lockdown project a few weeks ago. I've been working from home for many months now and, while it has its upsides, I wanted something new and fun to do. I ordered a BeePre a while back which made its way here and finally arrived last Friday after the usual customs hassle.

To cut a long story short I got it working (basic version) yesterday and I installed BeQuiet during the evening after confirming that it was working. Here's a picture of it nestled below the Kaiju and above the Dac and Roon server/ ropieee unit.

I haven't had time to properly listen yet but initial impressions are of a more "punchy" delivery and I was hearing some bass detail that was new. A promising start.

I had a couple of issues along the way. The left hand LEDs were not lighting up and voltages were off. I eventually tracked this down to a dry joint at some of the diodes (after swapping boards and confirming that the problem did not follow the boards when swapped). I also mis-wired the balance control initially, resulting in a completely silent right channel. After finding that the resistance of the right input was 0 ohms, and that this followed input selection, I suspected a miswire on the selector / balance / volume part of the circuit and indeed I had miswired the balance control.

Finally there is still a typo in the BeQuiet manual on page 14 that I know has been reported before - replace "Fine" with "Coarse" in the instructions for the lead attached to A8-L. Happily the photo is correct and I noticed this, and did some searching.

Thanks to all at Bottlehead - I really enjoyed making up the kit and I'm really looking forward to many hours of happy listening.

Paul.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 03:45:54 AM
Good that you got it sorted, enjoy.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Online Doc B.

• Administrator