Anyone used liquid electrical tape (aka "conformal coating")? Recommendations?

Guest · 351

Deke609

For oddly shaped terminations for which heat shrink or tape won't work.  Anyone used the stuff? Any recommendations as to brand or type?

many thanks, Derek

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
My experience with it was having to repair an antique radio (wired point to point) that had the stuff put on all the bare leads by the owner. It was a total PITA to work with the way it had been slopped on everything. So I would suggest using it only where you absolutely need insulation if you are going to use it. You might also consider Glyptal or corona dope.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Deke609

Thanks Doc. I will look into the products you mention.

I only expect to make very limited use of the stuff. For example, in my Kaiju rebuild, I have a board of snubbers for the PT secondaries sandwiched between the PT and the DC Fil board. The snubber boards sits a little close to the ground wire connection on a copper belly band I put on the PT (which, except for the ground connection, is well insulated and distanced from anything with non-zero voltage potential). I've since figured out a way to get a minimum of 5 mm of clearance between the snubber wiring and the ground connection, but I'm cautious about this stuff and would feel better if the small ground wire attachment to the belly band was insulated.

cheers and thanks, Derek