Right channel SLIGHTLY quieter than left channel

starnerd67 · 1068

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 05:10:40 PM
Only time will really tell.  Often we find that tube rolling can move connections and even the act of inserting the tube will scrape of oxidation on the pins, so down the road you may find that the channel balance shifts again and more investigation is warranted.  Often channel imbalance that is actually occurring within the tube will even out with some extended burn in time. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline starnerd67

Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 05:15:28 PM
Burn in it is then!

At least the channel imbalance now is mostly imperceptible unless i'm deliberately looking for it.

Offline starnerd67

Reply #17 on: January 05, 2024, 05:14:03 PM
It's been a couple years and I ended up putting the amp away for awhile because of the channel imbalance.
Pretty sure its coming from the tubes cause the intensity of the channel imbalance changed with the tube. But its still pretty frustrating to deal with and I didn't want to buy more tubes without a way to correct for the imbalance.

So instead of buying another tube, I bought a Left/Right RCA volume controller:
https://www.sescom.com/products/view/product/productslug/ses-rca-lvl-lr-stereo-dual-rca-left-right-volume-control

I can't guarantee that any tube i get will not be slightly left or right leaning. So this is one way to control it without modding the amp.
Enjoying it much more now. :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 05:54:59 PM by starnerd67 »