Shielding Cans

Jamier · 1977

Offline Jamier

on: August 23, 2020, 08:38:32 AM
I have been able to get some old, hard to find, Seas woofers. These were apparently designed for use around CRT displays as they have Cans on them. I really don’t need the Cans but if removing them creates a risk to the driver, I can work around them. How were these Cans generally attached, glue?

Jamier

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 09:01:51 AM
I would leave the cans.  They may be attached in the same way that the magnet is attached to the basket, so pulling the can off may also separate the magnet from the basket!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jamier

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 09:12:57 AM
Thanks PB. They do seem extremely well attached. I’ll leave them as is and work around them.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 04:27:59 PM
Not only that, the cans change the shape of the radiated field. So that was probably compensated for in the design.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jamier

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 07:32:28 AM
Doc, that's a good point. It makes me wonder if the Xover design I am going to use will be valid for this woofer, as it was originally designed around this woofer but, without the cans. Also, we don't need shielding cans when speakers are used with modern, flat screen tvs, but do they provide any benefit when the speakers are in close proximity to wireless routers, modems etc?

Jamie

James Robbins