Newbee with 2A3 paramour.

MickeySmile · 10949

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 04:52:00 AM
Don't know if my post temporarily disappeared or what, but I see it now. Basically it will cost a ton to get a couple of PT-2s made, just as much as it costs to get 10 of them made. Ditto with the laser cutter and a chassis plate. It would probably make more sense to get some plates made by Front Panel Express. Actually by the time you get through with all of the special orders and tracking down of parts it probably makes more sense to sell the amp and build a Stereomour, which already incorporates upgrades that you would be considering for that single Paramour, like better transformers.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 05:08:19 AM
Dan,

I was going to suggest that but had no handle on the costs.  The OP seemed to want to build another Paramour.  The Stereomour would be a considerable upgrade.

Offline MickeySmile

Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 09:17:15 AM
Thank you Doc B. & Grainger49 for the advices. More likely I have to wait for awhile to do the Stereomour upgrade. In the mean time, do you have the schematic of this paramour amp.? I like to fix this one first.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 09:35:13 AM
I have a schematic of the latest generation of Paramour just before it was superseded.  It is different from yours in that it has different transformers and plate choke.  That isn't likely to be the problem your amplifier has.

But I would like Doc's permission to send it.  It is his intellectual property.

Offline MickeySmile

Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 10:05:38 AM
I have a schematic of the latest generation of Paramour just before it was superseded.  It is different from yours in that it has different transformers and plate choke.  That isn't likely to be the problem your amplifier has.

I respect that and am hoping he will give the permission. By the way, I am thankful for your hospitality.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 10:28:35 AM

Actually it's PJs design originally and he should have some say in it too. It's OK with me if it's OK with him. My hunch is it will be prudent to replace all the electrolytic caps, and possibly the UF4007 rectifier diodes if that bad cap is shorted. Other than tubes possibly being a little tired everything else is probably working to spec.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 10:50:50 AM
OK, if I want to upgrade to improve sound so what are mods should I need? Beside the speco T7010 are there other candidates can be substituted for output transformer? Also, I need the schematic could someone post it up for me please!

OK, I didn't see my post re-appear so I guess it's lost; I'll try again.

The first recommended upgrade is to a C4S current source plate load on the driver. This was first offered as an upgrade, but shortly after it became a standard part of the kit. It improves the sound quite a bit, and also reduces the hum somewhat. The currently-listed SEX kit C4S upgrade is very similar, and I'd be happy to look over the manual and advise of any changes.

There was, back in the day, an iron upgrade kit that included a Magnequest BCP-15/50mA plate choke and a custom output transformer made for us by another vendor. The original 10-henry plate choke was recycled to replace the 270 ohm resistor in the power supply. The BCP-15 is still available (though Mike at MQ is not taking orders right now due to some health issues). I expect him to come up with a 4K impedance transformer eventually, to upgrade the Stereomour which is basically the same circuit. So far I am not aware of a fully satisfactory substitute on the market; the MQ TFA-2004Jr probably comes the closest.

The coupling cap (0.1uF/630v) and the parafeed output cap (3.3uF/630v) are the most significant ones to replace with better parts - "audiophile caps of your choice" as we say, since favorites change frequently.

The schematic was in the manual, and manuals have been available, however I don't know if there are any manuals that old still around. Doc B will have to address that question.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 11:04:39 AM
Bwahaha - Doc B and I are cross-posting! Apologies for the confusion. I have a sketch of the schematic after the C4S upgrade - send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward it.

Paul Joppa