Newbee with 2A3 paramour.

MickeySmile · 11000

Offline MickeySmile

on: November 17, 2010, 05:47:36 AM
Hi all,

I just bought an used one 2A3 paramount amp., I think it could be very old version and it has some bad capacitors. The seller lost the schematic and assembly instruction. I would like to upgrade and clone another one to pair with it. Hoping to get advice and information how to proceed.
Thanking in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:02:13 AM by MickeySmile »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 06:13:49 AM
Post a picture.  The Paramount is not that old.  The Paramour is much older and also uses 2A3 tubes. 

Another way to tell is the size of the base.  Measure the width and depth, meaning front to back.  Then post.

Offline MickeySmile

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 04:07:19 PM
Here are the pictures of top and bottom. The amp. base dimension is 6x10 

Offline Bryon

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 05:21:58 PM

If memory serves me right [I don't have my Paramours any more] what you have is a Paramour amp. 

Check the Bottlehead products page to see what a Paramount looks like

http://www.bottlehead.com/sc_images/paramountunderside.jpg

Bryon

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:45:08 PM
Yes, that's an original Paramour. Any idea what happened to the other one? They were only sold in pairs.

What leads you to conclude it has bad capacitors? Anything else you know about it?

Paul Joppa

Offline MickeySmile

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 02:58:59 AM
I don't know why the seller has only one and I didn't ask. In attachment is the picture of the capacitor that I see the bottom cap pops up, so mu guess the other one will be bad soon. Beside that everything else look intact.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 03:18:27 AM
You are spot on.  A cap like that needs to be replaced.  That is the capacitor on the cathode.  The resistor that is in parallel with it should be checked also.

The transformer for this amplifier is not made by Bottlehead today.  Neither is the metal top plate.  All the other parts you could source from a supplier and assemble.  Well, maybe not the output transformer.  You might find a pair of those from someone who has upgraded theirs and kept the parts.

A little woodwork will make the base.

So what I'm saying is that since you seem inclined to rebuild the one you have and build another this is the place to help you.  (the Bulletin Board)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:53:53 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline ssssly

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 05:01:58 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the output transformer on that is the speco still used in the quickie (headphone version)?

And Eileen was kind enough to custom order some PT-2 power transformers for my SR-45 project last year. Don't know if they can still be ordered but can't hurt to ask.

Not sure on the availability of the chokes though.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 07:23:00 AM
Yes, it's a Speco. Regarding the PT-2 - the way transformer winders work is that there is not a minimum order, there is instead a minimum price. This price is that same for one unit on up to about 10 units. So for example if we ordered 10 PT-2s (which we are not going to do, since we don't use them) the total might be $600, or $60 each. But if we order just one PT-2, the price is still $600.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 10:10:57 AM
Actually, your amp appears to have the Hammond custom power transformer, which we used prior to the PT-2. I am not aware of any substitutes that would not require circuit modifications.

It is possible that the output transformer is also the one we used prior to the Speco, so it may be difficult to source a matching one - but a pair of Speco's is still quite inexpensive. (The Speco bears the legend "SPECO T7010.")

The 10-H plate choke appears to have the nylon bobbin, not the earliest layer-wound design, so the current version should be a good match even though the actual manufacturer has changed again. (All three versions bear the same part number, C-7X.)

I agree with Grainger, the electrolytic caps should be replaced; the amp is getting old and it looks like that one is already failing.

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 11:30:12 AM

It is possible that the output transformer is also the one we used prior to the Speco, so it may be difficult to source a matching one - but a pair of Speco's is still quite inexpensive. (The Speco bears the legend "SPECO T7010.")

Oops, yeah you are right. I forgot that we used a different one before the Speco and that looks like what this one is - there is kraft paper on the coil rather than yellow plastic.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline MickeySmile

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 01:12:09 PM
OK, if I want to upgrade to improve sound so what are mods should I need? Beside the speco T7010 are there other candidates can be substituted for output transformer? Also, I need the schematic could someone post it up for me please!

Offline MickeySmile

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 03:28:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the output transformer on that is the speco still used in the quickie (headphone version)?

And Eileen was kind enough to custom order some PT-2 power transformers for my SR-45 project last year. Don't know if they can still be ordered but can't hurt to ask.

Not sure on the availability of the chokes though.

Who is Eileen? Could you introduce me to her?

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 05:18:10 PM
We seem to have lost a few replies. Eileen is Dan (Doc B)'s wife and business partner; she handles customer service because she's a total sweetheart. Dan is not dumb!

I'll check this thread again tomorrow to see if any posts have been restored...

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 12:31:24 AM
Here is the contacts page:

http://www.bottlehead.com/contu/cntu.html

Since you are new here you probably don't know the secret handshake it takes to find it.  Just to let you in on it... every page has a badge in the upper left corner.  Click on the badge and you go to an index and Bottlehead news page.  At the top of that page is the badge with some links next to it.  Contact us is the bottom link.

If you look down that index/news page you will find a picture of Doc/Dan with an odd look on his face looking at a blond woman.  She isn't Queen Eileen, but is Jacqui Naylor, a Bottlehead friend and recording artist.

I suggest you call for fastest service.  Since you are new you are not aware that Bottlehead is still moving and constructing their shop where they will pack kits and assemble special orders.