The New BeePre Pure Speculation Thread

Guest · 6640

Deke609

on: September 26, 2020, 12:19:23 PM
So, we know a new BeePre is coming. What else do we know? Only this much:

A universal power transformer is indeed part of what's up.

Note the phrase "part of what's up".  So there's more. So let's speculate what it'll be! 

In the thread from which PB's above quote is taken, someone expressed hope that the filament regulator will be immune to mains voltage sag -- b/c when the reg drops out you get a lot of hum/buzz.  I think the new universal power trafo with different primary winding configurations will take care of this in most cases -- but perhaps the voltage of the LV secondary will get bumped a bit? And maybe permit a bit of smoothing before being sent to the reg?  I doubt this last bit b/c that would be overkill (which, of course, is why I included a CLC filter before the fil reg in my Beepre rebuild  ;D )

My biggest question is whether the attenuator will be moved from the input to the output to increase SNR, as in the Moreplay.  If yes, I really hope there's a mod to make this work with existing Beepre's.  IIRC, PB mentioned in another thread in the last year that to do this other circuit changes are needed to maintain the output impedance of the amp.  I'm not sure if moving the attentuator would make much difference for those who keep the Beepre attentuators turned up pretty high -- but I'm guerssing it might make an audible difference for those who only use the first two (highest dB reduction) positions of the coarse attenuator.

What else?  Let the wild guessing begin!

cheers, Derek

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 02:16:17 PM
There will not be any backwards compatibility between what we are up to now and what we are working on for the release.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Deke609

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 03:07:39 PM
J. H. C.! I might be building a new Beepre next year!   :o With luck I can build the new circuit in my "BigBy" chassis.

Deke609

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 05:55:01 AM
I take comfort in knowing that I am not the only recent Beepre builder that will likely be building the new version when it gets released.

I am all but certain that, like me, Jameson is  weighing whether he can make use of two Beepre's and I'd even guess that he's leaning towards (a) using the new premium preamp in his main rig; (b) in that same main rig, replacing the SII with Monomours to drive his Kaiju Jager tweeters; and (c) using the "old" BP and SII as a kickass secondary system -- perhaps office or for tv.

Jameson: am I close?   ;D

cheers, Derek
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:47:08 AM by Deke609 »

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 09:01:16 AM
I don’t want to talk about it ;)

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Alby0521

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 01:42:05 PM
When is the new Beepre supposed to come out?

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 02:00:55 PM
I predict it will sound fantastic, have a great manual and support from the BH team. If it improves on the BeePre that will be one nice preamp!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:21:07 PM by johnsonad »

Aaron Johnson

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 05:38:38 PM
Here's a wild speculation:
Universal transformer, TI DC 6v boost circuit board added to power supply, extra input so now 3 in, 3 out, change out the 80 ohm resistors for Ohmite ceramic for a cooler top plate, individual pots instead of a balance circuit or maybe BeeQuiet being standard.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline oguinn

Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 10:39:38 PM
If it’s anything like previous stepwise updates they’ve made to the Eros, it might just be a universal transformer and a change to the layout to make things simpler to construct and troubleshoot.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 05:41:26 AM
Even I don't know what the final changes will be yet. We have a tentative plan to listen to a couple of prototypes next week, after which I will make some final decisions. The voltage sag issue has been addressed. The power supply is different than the one in the original BeePre.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Deke609

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 06:30:51 AM
We have a tentative plan to listen to a couple of prototypes next week ...

Man, testing different PJ/PB prototypes ... that's a pretty sweet part of the job!

cheers, Derek

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 10:03:31 AM
Even I don't know what the final changes will be yet. We have a tentative plan to listen to a couple of prototypes next week, after which I will make some final decisions. The voltage sag issue has been addressed. The power supply is different than the one in the original BeePre.

Please post some pics of the prototypes, inside and out. To respect the theme of this thread, I speculate the new BeePre will be in my system in the future.

Raymond P.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 10:11:29 AM
Please post some pics of the prototypes, inside and out.
That's always an iffy proposition.  Some of the stuff we (more often than not me) build sucks horribly and should never see the light of day, and what we really wouldn't want is to get traction on a prototype that performs poorly!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 06:45:29 PM
I saw a picture of a BeePree II prototype on the Bottlehead Instagram feed and was wondering what the chassis size is. (Gotta make sure I have space. :-) )

BTW, that power transformer looks massive, like the Kaiju's.

Raymond P.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 05:20:00 AM
It is a 10x16 like the Kaiju with the same power transformer.

Paul "PB" Birkeland