A Don Garber inspired 2a3 amp

Thermioniclife · 994

Offline Thermioniclife

on: October 30, 2020, 12:31:43 PM
Hello, a while back i built a modified Foreplay III in a design fashion of a gentleman by the name of Don Garber who built a line of amps and preamps in New York City. I have always loved the aesthetics of his designs so i decided to build a stereo 2a3 amp to pair with that preamp. And this is how the story go's . I started to design the chassis plates and ordering parts on august 15th 2020, i spent 2-3 hours a day, often times more designing on Front Panel Express. As the parts started coming in I started to breadboard it. I had to wait for the Lundahl opt's but they eventually arrived, joy. I then realized that i had a problem with my understanding of operating points and PB was quite helpful in getting me squared away, Thank you PB! So after that my plan came together and this amp sings Beautifully, I have never had or heard a 2a3 amp before but it startled me on a first impression, I love it. Enjoy the pic's

Lee R.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 03:14:47 PM
Nice job! It looks great!  I had a Fi X years ago and still regret selling it.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 04:38:30 PM
Cool!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 06:51:47 PM
Nice work!   I remember Don Garber's designs from a number of years ago. I never owned one but thought they were quite novel.
Speaking of Paul Birkland helping you, I was building a couple of mono block 300Bs and Paul really helped me out and gave me better design ideas than I was going to use. The amps sound great based on his advise.

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 05:27:56 AM
Very nice nod to Don. Well done.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 05:46:51 AM
Thanks for the kind words from all. these times we find ourselves in can be a very lonely and monotonous struggle. I found the many hours spent plotting x and y coordinates on FPE very therapeutic. So the question is, What's next?

Lee R.

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 03:30:26 PM
As usual, I'm a bit late to the party, but this is a very nice looking amp!  Well done, Lee!  About a decade ago, I started gathering parts for a 2A3 build, including some original RCA 2A3 tubes.  Then, things got busy and I lost interest, and sold the tubes.  Wishing now that I had held onto them...

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 02:48:24 AM
Lee, if you ever consider a 300B build let me know.  I would love to rebuild my Paramounts in a similar way.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 03:44:14 AM
Thanks Eric and Aaron, Thanks for the kind words. As far as selling stuff I always regret it afterwards. Aaron the possibility of me building another amp
in this fashion is unlikely. Do a search for Don Garber amps and plenty of examples will come up. If I can do it You can also.
Planning costs nothing but time, and during this mess I think we all have extra time. Give it a shot!

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 11:44:45 AM
And I should add Aaron if I can help in any way let me know. You will be getting advise by a monkey but that is all I can offer. ;D

Lee R.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 12:55:45 PM
Thanks Lee. I enjoy thinking about projects but often fail in the execution ;)

Aaron Johnson