Stylus cleaner

aragorn723 · 8840

Offline aragorn723

on: November 02, 2020, 03:26:28 PM
Can anyone recommend a stylus cleaner?  I have owned a record player for a couple years now and haven't cleaned it yet  :P. Im sure this will make sound quality suffer a bit.

Dave

Offline Tubejack

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 04:35:31 AM
I've been happy with this. Several reviews and suppliers on line if you search.

ONZOW ZeroDust - Stylus Cleaner
https://www.amazon.com/ONZOW-ZERODUST-ZeroDust-Stylus-Cleaner/dp/B00ERPWAK2

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Online Jay

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 03:31:08 AM
I use a small square of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser stuck onto the end of a toothpick.

Jay L.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 06:58:16 AM
Good idea.  Wound up buying scotch mounting putty (similar to blu tack).  Saw another thread on this further down the forum.  Can't wait to hear a nice clean stylus!

Dave

Offline Adrian

Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 04:03:23 AM
I use a small square of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser stuck onto the end of a toothpick.
This does clean the stylus well.  However, do not wipe the stylus with it, just gently push the stylus into the pad a couple of times.
This pad is rough enough to ruin the stylus if you wipe or pull across the stylus with it.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline jimbo

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 01:04:26 PM
I recommend this:

'winylcleaner'

Probably similar to other products like the Onzow.  Any of these firm jelly polymer products will make a huge difference. Just get something that has a reputation for not leaving any of itself on the stylus.  I have read some accounts of debris marring the vinyl, whether true or not I do not know for sure.  I would avoid paste / putty based products but thats me personally & I have no actual evidence to back it up.

James

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 01:22:05 PM
I have used some blu-tac on the bottom side of a
LAST stylus cleaner for a couple of years now and it works very well. I simply lightly press straight up onto the stylus and it removes all matter from the stylus without leaving any residue. I occasionally reform the blue tac to "clean" it.
Here are a couple of Pics.

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline sl-15

Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 06:57:23 AM
Is that a Soundsmith needle on your Grace F-9?
For stylus cleaning I am mostly dipping in the Magic Eraser but also dry brushing with a Last style brush and once in a while I use the solution from the Disc Doctor which has minimal or no alcohol. I have used the Onzow as well and the Blue Tack. They all work well. I inspect my styli under a special DIY modified microscope which resembles the Shure stylus microscope. When using the magic eraser method and the records are clean that seems to work very well. When records are dirty the Magic Eraser gets to its limits though. Dipping after each side is essential otherwise dirt accumulates and then the dipping does not remove the crud only brushing with solution does. I have not done this inspection with the Blue tack method, should be an interesting comparison.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 07:27:45 AM
Yes, it is a Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus. I had wondered for some time why Peter only made a replacement stylus for the Grace F9 cartridge. He is a master at rebuilding cartridges with a new stylus but only builds a complete stylus for the Grace F9. I had used a number of different moving coil cartridges over the years with a Bent Audio step up transformer.
My curiosity got the best of me and I bought one of Peters stylus for a Grace F9. No extra SUT in the line now and the sound is excellent. I am well satisfied with it.
Regards,
Don

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Karl5150

Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 03:25:50 AM
A little late, but personally I don't like to brush the stylus: I know my hands aren't as steady as they once were. My record weight is about the same height as the record mat when it sits on the plinth. Like Tubegopher I use blu-tac. I prefer to just lower the stylus on to the blu-tac, flip the record, lift the tonearm, put the record weight on and spin the second side. Lots of tiny black specks tell you when it is time to flip or replace the blu-tac.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Ascari

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 02:56:06 AM
Besides everything already mentioned you can use Moongel.  I have been using it for years.   You can get it off of Amazon for between $7 - $12.    It is as good as the Onzo.

Offline 4krowme

Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 08:22:33 AM
  Yes, this is an old topic that I came by. After reading the considerations made by various manufacturers, and reading a long white paper on vinyl care, I dare to say that after spending what looks to be thousands on a cartridge and slew of records, I would want the best possible outcome for cleaning and not damaging in any way either my record collection or stylus assembly. Remembering that the suspension of the stylus assembly itself is made for riding the fine road of vinyl, but not 4 wheeling while being cleaned, i.e. not being snapped out of the wrong consistency of goo or gel. No different than cleaning your wheels with Easy-Off oven cleaner. I bet it gets 'em clean and other stuff to. Back to the subject here, even a steady hand coming in hot with a stiff brush, will likely take to one side or the other, the cantilever beyond it's intended bounds of movement.
  Having said this, I do use the $40 goo, but it placed without my hand holding, and then the stylus is momentarily dipped for less than a second. Really now, without the use of an incredible microscope, do we know whether a film was left on the tip of the stylus? Personally, I doubt that it happens at least with the product that I am using, Hopefully designed for this exact application. Try putting Blu-Tack on a clean window, then pull it off and take a very close look.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 11:49:18 PM
That ONZOW ZeroDust works great for me, expensive for a blob of goo but really does work great. I leave it siting on the deck surface so i can just drop the needle in and lift, sometimes as often as evey side of an LP when i can see dust stuck to the needle.

Then every once in a while i clean with Nagaoka 801 cleaner, takes the last 10% of grime off that the zerodust doesnt.  You dont need a microscope to see the difference.

M.McCandless

Offline Toys4Boys

Reply #14 on: September 01, 2023, 01:05:15 AM
I've been happy with this. Several reviews and suppliers on line if you search.

ONZOW ZeroDust - Stylus Cleaner
https://www.amazon.com/ONZOW-ZERODUST-ZeroDust-Stylus-Cleaner/dp/B00ERPWAK2
Michael Fremer did a blog(?) w/ Wally Tools showing residue deposited on the stylus and cantilever using this product, which according to https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/whats-everyones-take-on-the-recent-microscopic-investigation-by-michael-fremer-of-stylus-contamination-by-products-like-onzow-zerodust.34108/.

The other thing I would suggest is not using a liquid cleaner, these often have a small brush like a nail polish brush, diretly on the stylus as capillary action can pull the liquid up the cantilever. A good stylus brush used fairly frequently and then from time to time wetting that brush with the fluid.