UTurn audio acrylic platter

aragorn723 · 4402

Offline aragorn723

on: November 06, 2020, 08:51:33 AM
Anybody with a UTurn audio turntable have the acrylic platter?  I have been running the standard platter and dust mat for a couple of years, along with the Grado black cartridge.  UTurn claims there is a more detailed sound with the acrylic platter, as well as better speed stability.  Is it worth the upgrade?

Dave

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 08:54:00 AM
I had it and liked it, but I didn't have the standard platter to compare it to. I thought it sounded good.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:24:18 PM
Thanks.  What would make a bigger difference in sound, changing the cartridge or changing to the acrylic platter?

Dave

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 01:56:40 AM
I’d have to assume the cartridge will have the bigger impact on any table, but I haven’t compared platters. I will say that upgrading the cartridge in the U Turn is something I did do, and that made a very big difference. I went from the OM5E to the Red.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 11:47:56 AM
i'm contemplating going from Grado black to the Ortofon 2M Blue.  Pretty happy with the sound of the Grado black for now, but will probably replace it around the 1000 hour mark.  Recently starting cleaning my stylus, and i'm hearing things I didn't hear before in very familiar recordings.

Dave

Offline Karl5150

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 02:50:23 AM
Dave, I have been using the 2M blue on my TT for years (3rd stylus) and am pleased, although not much to compare it to. (OM5E and 2M Red)
An easy way to keep the stylus clean is to lower it on to some BluTac  once between LPs. (Gently straight down and back up with the lift mech works for me) You will start to notice tiny dark spots in the Tac as it pulls junk off. I've never experienced any downside, YMMV as always.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline caffeinator

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 06:55:10 AM
I can't comment on the cartridge changes, but I have done a similar change from stock (cast metal) to acrylic on a Pro-Ject table. I didn't notice any big changes, but the difference in mass was palpable and I'd guess helpful to speed stability. For the Pro-Ject, the change was pretty inexpensive so it was cheaper and easier than a cart upgrade.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 11:35:11 AM
Dave, I have been using the 2M blue on my TT for years (3rd stylus) and am pleased, although not much to compare it to. (OM5E and 2M Red)
An easy way to keep the stylus clean is to lower it on to some BluTac  once between LPs. (Gently straight down and back up with the lift mech works for me) You will start to notice tiny dark spots in the Tac as it pulls junk off. I've never experienced any downside, YMMV as always.

I wound up buying the scotch version of blu Tak.  It has done a great job, but the difference in sound might be from the ground wire I added between the Quickie and amp.  It made a noticable difference in the noise floor. 

The 2m blue gets a lot of good reviews.  Maybe I should just save up for that, or possibly go to a moving coil setup eventually.  Sounds like the platter might not do much for me.

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 03:03:39 AM
Consider the Nagaoka - 110. You might have to order it from Japan to get a better price but according to Ian in this YT video better than the Blue even though it is cheaper. His big sets of cartridge tests, and others are worth watching. Boundless enthusiasm but a critical listener. I'd like to listen his comments if he tested BH products.

Keep an eye on the Bay for the acrylic platter, you may well get a bargain.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 11:54:03 AM
I've bought a couple products based on Ian's recommendations, both the Grado Black and the Rega fono mini a2d.  They are both pretty nice, but the Nagaoka does sound better, even on youtube.  Not sure how close the Nagaoka will actually sound vs youtube, but it looks promising.  Unfortunately I haven't found one in standard mount.

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 03:11:33 AM
What do you mean by standard mount? Normal cartridges, and I thought that the Nagaoka range would be included, have a version of the standard screw mounts as do the arms and swappable shells. I don't think that Ian has mentioned this and ne has tested several of their range. They all sound good.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 12:15:41 PM
I need the mount that has a screw that runs thru each side of the cart and secures with a nut.  Thought that was called standard mount.

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 02:05:42 AM
Nagaoka uses the nuts and bolts but the Ortofon looks as if the screws go into a captive thread in the cartridge body. I don't think that affects the fixing of either to a slotted arm or head hell.