Help with headphone jack

aragorn723 · 510

Offline aragorn723

on: November 09, 2020, 03:13:07 PM
I'm fixing a headphone extension cable where the 1/4" female connection is very staticky.  I tried re-soldering the connections (which were very grayish) and desoldering/re-soldering.  Decided to go with a new jack, whats the easiest way to hold it steady so I can solder it?  Also having trouble getting a good solder joint, they go from shiny to greyish black pretty quick.  What am I doing wrong?  Would this be a good jack to use? 

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nj3fc6-1-4-in-line-locking-jack--092-134?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7qP9BRCLARIsABDaZzjwJkeg1UyJMue2giEvV2sm5gnvNTYni5NOlc4QYSKGxBWtQnCe_-caAmpqEALw_wcB

Will probably check the cable for continuity too.

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 04:58:53 PM
A helping hands tool might be helpful for this. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline diynewbie

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 01:18:56 AM
That is a good connector.  If you don't want to get a third hand or have a vice, then you could probably get by using mounting putty.  Something like blu-tack, handitak or any of several other brands.  It can usually be found in home improvement/hardware stores or office supply stores.  It won't be a firm hold, but it should be good enough.  You can clean off any residue from the putty with lighter fluid or mineral spirits.

The black solder joints suggest that the wire or connector has oxidized.  I'll let those more knowledgeable guide you on to clean the wire and connector.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 11:43:58 AM
Thanks for the tip on the helping hands.  I should also mention that my soldering iron tip turns black when tinning.  I wiped it off with a baby wipe, brushed on a little bit of flux, and then melted a little solder onto the tip.  What am I doing wrong?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 03:21:31 PM
What kind of solder are you using?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aragorn723

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 04:31:56 PM
The solder is 0.063" 60/40 radio shack clear flux solder.  Turns out the cable continuity checks out.  Just got the iron to tin.  Looks like I didn't use enough flux.  Gave it a good coating while cool, and wrapped the tip in solder.  Nice and shiny now.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:56:25 PM by aragorn723 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 06:24:27 AM
I would try different solder.

Paul "PB" Birkeland