No sound from left channel after working without issues earlier in the day.

Colonl_Charisma · 1890

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
I think you'd need to drill a new locating hole.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Right on. I found this PEC pot that was linked in another BH forum post. I think I will pick this one up. It's much cheaper, and I may not have to do any manipulation of the chassis with it.

Linking below for anyone else interested:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/KKA1041S28/KKA1041S28-ND/770961

Ross

Deke609

A drill, jeweler's saw or tiny file will all do the job - which one's faster or cleaner will depend on whether the new hole overlaps with the existing one. If it is in a totally new spot or if it more or less perfectly overlaps the existing hole but just needs to be bigger, a metal drill bit (or even a wood one if you don't care about it getting dull) will do the job in a matter of seconds. But if the new hole needs to be centered on the edge of the existing one, a file or jeweler's saw is the better way to go.

cheers, Derek

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Thanks Derek! I really appreciate the tips. I should get the PEC pot in a couple of days. I'll know for sure then if I will need to tweak the chassis. In the meantime, I will disassemble my current volume pot.

Ross

Offline Colonl_Charisma

PB would it be okay if we kept this thread open until I install my new PEC pot? It should arrive by Tuesday.

I was able to easily desolder all wires from the old pot, and I removed the old pot from the chassis.

For clarification, What should my resistance checks show once I solder the wires on the PEC pot?

Ross

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Are you putting the resistors back on the PEC?  Resistances should be consistent between the levels of the pot.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Yes, I will put the resistors on the PEC pot. Haha the volume is a bit loud without them. I couldn't really turn the volume past 9 o'clock, and I was getting channel imbalance at the low levels

Theoretically the resistances on the new pot should be:
U and L left lugs = 75K (due to having the 75K resistors connecting the L and R channels to the PEC pot)
U and L middle lugs = ?
U and L right lugs = 0 (this should be 0 because it is the ground connection)

What should the resistance for the middle lugs be?

Ross

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
If you have one probe on ground, the upper and lower outer lugs will be about 24K, the inner lugs 0, and the middle lugs variable depending on where you have the pot positioned.

I would not even bother to measure this, just install the new pot and listen to it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Will do haha. Do you think I used too much solder causing the old pot to burn out?

I looked at the old one after I removed it, and it looked rough with all the flux everywhere.

Ross

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
The flux can get in and disrupt the connection the solder lug to the carbon track in the pot.  That isn't really possible with the PEC.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Colonl_Charisma

I totally see how that can occur, and after looking at the PEC design I see how it helps protect the pot.

I’ll update the thread once I install the PEC pot in a couple of days.

Ross

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Just received the PEC pot, and I'm about to install it. There does not seem to be any instructions, but the installation regarding where the wires go should be the same, correct?

I do have to enlarge the volume pot hole along with extending the hole for the locating pin. I will report back tomorrow after I visit my friend with a drill haha.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:21:23 PM by Colonl_Charisma »

Ross

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Yes, just install it exactly like the stock pot.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Perfect! This PEC pot is much larger, and should make for an easier time soldering. Thanks, PB.

Ross

Offline Colonl_Charisma

My friend successfully drilled a wide enough hole for the PEC pot to fit through along with slightly elongated the locating pin hole.

I've attached a picture of the PEC pot. Should I slightly bend the bottom lugs up? I potentially see some wires touching the chassis.

Ross