Tape output preamp

mrclassicman · 1942

Offline mrclassicman

on: December 08, 2020, 06:40:49 PM
How would I go about putting a tape output on my preamp. Would it be as easy as paralleling a second jack on the pre out? Would it also require another output cap and or resistor from the center pin to ground like the regular output jack does? I would like to listen while I record but don't want to go through the tape for general listening. Thanks in advance for any enlightening assistance with this.

Terry (mrclassicman)

Offline pboser

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 03:30:31 AM
I'm sure that someone with more expertise will chime in, but most tape outputs are not controlled by the volume control - it would make taping a bit inconvenient if you had to leave the volume know untouched during taping!  In fact, if I understand it correctly, most are just a direct connection from the source (or phono preamp), since the line stage is usually after the volume control.  Some suggest buffering the tape output - I don't know the necessity of that in practice. 
HTH,
Pete

Peter Boser

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 04:38:16 AM
You could tap into the inputs on your preamp either at the input jacks or the input selector switch and run them to a record out switch
that you install. That way you can select what source you want to record and also what you want to listen to while you record.
The lousy drawing i did shows a preamp with 3 inputs and on the right the record out switch.
keep in mind I only show one channel and no input grounds to keep it simple.

Lee R.

Offline mrclassicman

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 05:04:36 AM
Thank you both for your input. Both of you are on the same track with the connection before the volume control. Well I now have a new project to do! Thanks again guys!

Terry (mrclassicman)

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 06:14:19 AM
Both of you are on the same track with the connection before the volume control.
Yes, this connection must be made before the volume pot.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man