Finished kit + Question

mosquitorojo · 1836

Offline mosquitorojo

on: December 09, 2020, 07:43:43 PM
Hi all,

I've finished my kit a week ago, and I've been testing it since then. I'm really happy with it! I've hooked it up with a solid state Carver CM1090 integrated amp, and it's been a huge upgrade. The thing is, I want to hook up my Crack to it. I've noticed that both outputs are gain controled, so I don't think it would be a good idea to connect the crack to one of these outputs. Anyone having the same issue?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 09:05:43 PM
You could hook the Crack to the extra set of outputs, there's no problem there.  I would do that, then turn the volume control on the Moreplay all the way down, then turn the volume control on the Crack up until you hear noise, then back it off a bit (if there's no noise, you can leave it all the way up), then use the Moreplay as your volume control.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mosquitorojo

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:07:12 PM
Hi Paul!

Thank you for the help! I've tried your advise and it worked perfectly. No noise even with the crack at full volume. Is this the same as connecting the crack directly to the source? Wouldn't it be better to add a direct output to the moreplay? Sorry if I'm asking something obvious.

Regards,

Mauro

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 06:42:54 AM
No, it's not the same as directly connecting the Crack to the source, since the signal is going through the Moreplay.

I'm not sure what you mean by adding a direct output.  Usually I would see that term used to describe a function in home theater receivers where signal processing is bypassed.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mosquitorojo

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 10:55:51 AM
Hi Paul,

By direct output I meant a connection between the inputs and the output, bypassing the moreplay circuit. Wouldn't that be the best way to hook the moreplay and the crack together?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 12:02:34 PM
That's a tape output.  Since what you're doing now works and doesn't require drilling extra holes in the Moreplay chassis, I would say what you're doing now is the best way ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline laphil

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 10:13:07 AM
I tried this setup today. There’s an immediately noticeable improvement when the Crack is connected via the Moreplay. I was connecting the Crack directly to the source before. Too bad that my speakers are in another room and I’ll have to take the Moreplay back to the other room for now.