Spare wire??

eddhartwellmusic · 1217

Offline eddhartwellmusic

on: December 11, 2020, 01:53:30 PM
So, like a moron, when trimming the ends of the shielded pair cable, I pulled inner cable right out... this happened twice, and now I don't have enough to finish the build.... stupid I know!

So does anybody know somewhere in the UK, preferably London, or online with quick delivery that I can get some more, without having to buy 100m of it?!

Offline eddhartwellmusic

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 02:59:46 PM

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 03:29:16 PM

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline eddhartwellmusic

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 05:24:35 PM
But I don't need 15m of it!
Any confirmation that the Ebay product will be OK?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 05:24:59 PM
I have no idea, I haven't used that product before.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Deke609

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 06:46:08 PM
Or you could try rebuilding the wire. Assuming you kept the drain wire that you pulled out, you could carefully cut a slit down the length of the plastic sheathing -- making sure not to cut the inner foil.  Remove the sheathing, wrap the drain wire once around the length of the cable, pop the sheathing back on, and wrap the whole thing with overlapping layers of electrical tape.  And I's suggest melting the last bit of the tape so that it doesn't unravel - it tends to do that with time.

cheers, Derek

Offline Chris H

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 11:19:04 PM
Not sure if it helps, depends how much you have lost, but I have 5" left from my build. Am in UK and would be happy to post if you are just coming up short.

Offline eddhartwellmusic

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 04:11:54 AM
That might be helpful actually, thank you... I just need to attach socket B, last thing you need that cable for I believe. I know it says to cut 6", but reckon it'll be doable in 5!

Not sure if it helps, depends how much you have lost, but I have 5" left from my build. Am in UK and would be happy to post if you are just coming up short.

Offline Chris H

Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 06:17:39 AM
The additional 1" may be to keep a little more clearance with other wiring (noise consideration) but happy for you to try it.
Others may be able to advise whether the shorter length will cause any issue.
In the meantime go to www.acuitive.co.uk.
There's a contact foirm where you can provide your details confidentially and I will pop it in the post.

Offline eddhartwellmusic

Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 01:27:15 AM
Thanks for your help, I'm looking forward to being able to carry on with the build!

I was also told that XLR cable will suffice for this job? Any thoughts on that anybody?!
Also, any info regarding the noise/extra inch would be appreciated

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 07:09:41 AM
I was also told that XLR cable will suffice for this job? Any thoughts on that anybody?!
Also, any info regarding the noise/extra inch would be appreciated
No, XLR cable will be stranded and will likely cause problems.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline eddhartwellmusic

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 12:53:41 PM
The additional 1" may be to keep a little more clearance with other wiring (noise consideration) but happy for you to try it.
Others may be able to advise whether the shorter length will cause any issue.
In the meantime go to www.acuitive.co.uk.
There's a contact foirm where you can provide your details confidentially and I will pop it in the post.

Any reason why I can't attach this to the other (rear) side of the terminal strip, (22U, 23U and 24U), in order to save length/shorten run?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 12:58:39 PM
I would not put those wires on the C socket side of the terminal strip.  These are deliberately placed in such a way that the foil shield and drain wire don't interfere with what's going on with the C socket.  There's no penalty to having an extra inch or two of STP feeding the heaters of the EF86s.

Paul "PB" Birkeland