Considering Crack as first HA... a cure for headphone apathy?

vinylmad · 439

Offline vinylmad

Hi, guys.  My first post here.

With disclosing that headphones have never been my primary choice for home listening you might be wondering why I've arrived here.  Sitting in a drawer is a rather forlorn pair of HD600s, purchased over three years ago on the basis of...  Well, they turned out to be a nice-to-have but have seldom been used.  Though there's nothing about their sound I particularly dislike, no-one is insisting that I use them and I've always just preferred the speaker experience.  Is this chiming with anyone?

Drawn by positive opinions of the Crack and the appeal of self-build (never had a tube project before), I'm wondering if the modest outlay involved might be the key to getting more from my cans.  A secondary reason for toying with the idea of a HA is that only my CD/digital/streaming chain has a headphone socket, making vinyl a speakers-only affair.  My main amp (Rega Elicit-R) has a Record Out which could be utilised, and also a Pre Out (with a higher output voltage) but I'm assuming this connection comes after the volume control and would be less suitable...?

Ideally the volume on my HA would have remote control, seeing as my gear rack is out of reach of my chair, but for a "starter" amp I'm sure I could manage without one.

Should I take the plunge and give the Crack (w/Speedball?) a chance to impress, or resign myself to a reality where headphones stay in the drawer?  Okay, maybe not that simple a question!  I'd really love to know if anyone has come from finding that even decent headphones didn't do it for them, only to feel differently having tried the Crack.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 08:10:47 AM by vinylmad »

Colin G.

Offline Chris H

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 10:58:49 AM
I would absolutely recommend it.  Dive in and take the plunge.

I did not even own a set of headphones at the start of the year but the idea of DIY audio appealed.
Like you I read some very good reviews so I purchased a used set of HD600s at the same time as ordering the kit.
Rather than try to describe how good they sound (to me and my ears) it's probably best to ask if you remember that "wow" moment the first time you listened to a good quality stereo amp.
I have some mid to high end gear (Naim, Rega, Spendor) and law of diminishing returns means it has been a few years since I've had that experienc (still chasing that dragon).
Well the first time i plugged my HD600s into the Crack, that is what I got. I was simply blown away.
I now listen regularly on headphones as well as through speakers. It's a different experience but every bit as good depending on what mood I'm in.
It's a very good amp, representing exceptional value and a rewarding experience to build (I was a first time builder too).

Careful though, it's easy to get hooked. That was in March and I have since replaced my Rega phono with an Eros II and am seriously looking at a new pre-amp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 02:54:49 PM
You would want to use the record out on the Rega to feed the Crack, which just passes whichever input you have selected straight through. 

Building tube gear is fun and the HD-600s do pair really well with the Crack.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline vinylmad

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 12:29:17 PM
Thanks, @Chris H and @Paul Birkeland, for the sage advice.  Sorry for the slow return, thought I had notifications turned on so will double-check my settings.

Reading opinions of the Crack vs. Crackatwoa I now rather fancy the latter.  My soldering iron is never far away, and I like a bit of a challenge.

My "wow" moment-s came following an upgrade to my sources with a realisation that the outgoing kit was clearly not up to the standard of my amp and speakers.  Previous "wow" moments were after removing HomePlugs, and adding an EtherREGEN, when I also slipped quietly away from the "bits-are-bits" camp.  Oh, and a mains purifier.  These changes didn't all happen at the same time, so I was able to hear incremental improvements.  The sound from the speakers is now much more natural, unstressed and dynamic, with wide open staging.  I'd be looking for the BH to comfortably surpass the headphone output of my Oppo UDP-205 and give me some of the same magic.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 11:32:15 PM by vinylmad »

Colin G.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 04:20:49 PM
The Crack-a-two-a also has a little extra room on the chassis, so you could add some RCA jacks as preamp outputs and try it in that role as well.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man