Advice on how they sound.

debk · 3499

Offline debk

on: December 21, 2020, 08:45:24 AM
I am thinking about getting a pair of Jagers, but am reluctant to spend $3000 on a pair of speaker I have never heard.  BH HQ is the opposite coast for me and not very practical to get to, to audition the speaker even without a pandemic.
I currently have a fair of fostex 8in full range drivers in a folded horn cab ( madisound BK20).  I had a pair of Orca's but thought the full-range folded horns sounded better, and have since sold the Orcas.  Has anyone gone from the folded horn to the Jagers, and what is your experience?

Thanks for any advice

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 09:32:58 AM
I think the first thing you would notice is that the bass is noticeably more coherent with the mids and treble because of the reduction of the travel time for the leading edge of the bass notes to get to you compared to the folded horn. And I imagine you will hear deeper and more even bass as well. The dynamics of the Jager are not far off from a horn speaker, so there is not much sacrifice of the horn positives in going to the Jagers. The Orcas are great small speakers that image like gangbusters and I like them enough that I use them in my home theater for center and surrounds. The Jagers are way bigger and offer the benefits that size can bring - sensitivity, bandwidth, output level. It is kind of an apples and oranges comparison.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline debk

Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 12:58:01 PM
Ok enough with the analysis paralysis, I'll give them a try.  I just purchased a pair

Deb

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 02:44:37 PM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers