I need an upgrade, but stuck on what the next step is

Markkr · 544

Offline Markkr

on: December 28, 2020, 05:41:11 PM
Today I sold both of my Cracks, I was considering a Crackatwoa... but now I cant help but think I should jump straight to the Mainline. I own and love the entire suite of Sennheiser 6 series headphones, they are my preferred headphone and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I wasnt disappointed with my Cracks (w/SB) but didnt want to go down the hole of upgrades... I’d rather build a new upgraded amp.

My source is a Blusound Node 2i connected to a Bifrost2 playing Tidal. I mostly listen to 70’s 80’s 90’s rock (typical stuff, but prefer live or acoustic recordings if available)

Would you recommend Crackatwoa or Mainline? (Or something else alltogether)

Thanks in advance.

Offline Markkr

Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 03:35:00 PM
Boo... ignored :-(

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 04:59:34 PM
Mainline is more resolving and neutral. Crackatwoa is more full sounding like Crack, but with better dynamics and resolution.

If you really like the warmth and body of the Crack get a Crackatwoa. If you want a little more of a studio type sound go with Mainline.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Markkr

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 05:44:08 PM
Thank you, I think that answers my question. I really loved the body of the Crack... so I think my original plan of a Crackatwoa is my path forward.

Thanks again, Mark

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 11:11:44 PM
I loved my Crackatwoa with HD600/800 cans, really great sounding amplifier.  I have built half a dozen Cracks, some highly modded and it stood out above them all.

Not heard an actual Mainline, but have smilar amps with 6C45 tubes and found them to excel at detail, if you want the absolute best out of your HD800's with just a touch of tube sweetness, go that way.  Technically superior, but it all comes down to a matter of taste at the end of the day.  Vinyl vs CD, Coffee vs Tea, i would be very happy with either of them.

M.McCandless