DIY bookshelf speaker recommendation request

Markkr · 1406

Offline Markkr

on: January 06, 2021, 03:06:44 PM
I would like to build small speaker setup for my home office (on a budget). I’d was thinking it would be cool to use a S.E.X and also build a small pair of DIY speakers. (Parts Express kit?)

Does anyone have a recommendation for such a speaker kit that would be compatible with the S.E.X?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:16:10 PM
The Overnight Sensations kit should work pretty well as a desktop pair of speakers on a SEX amp.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 08:03:52 PM
From the Bottlehead archives - it's just an idea from a decade ago, and only the drivers are currently available, but it's a simple thing to play with - no crossover, simple box.

https://archives.bottlehead.com/s-e-xy-speakers/index.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:04:02 AM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 03:09:10 AM
Small, single wideband ("fullrange") drivers augmented with smallish powered sub(s) is my $0.02. With plans and kits available, you generally get more efficiency and don't force the drivers or SEX amp to do the heavy lifting. It boils down to how much diy and budget. Welcome to the rabbit hole...enjoy.
karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 04:17:59 AM
Dittos PB, Overnight Sensations. I use them with S3X in near field. I have also been thinking about the C note speakers
from Parts Express also.

Lee R.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 06:06:28 AM
Sorry, I left out the link:

https://archives.bottlehead.com/s-e-xy-speakers/index.html

(I've edited my earlier post.)

Paul Joppa

Offline Chris H

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 07:24:36 AM
Just finished building some overnight sensations in preparation for S.E.X. I have on order.
Had to test them so hooked them up to an AV receiver last night.
Tried various types of music and they only really struggled if pushed too hard to try and fill a larger room (where I was testing) when playing 'busier' stuff.
I will be using in same setup as OP (near-field desktop) so am expecting to be well satisfied with my choice.
Especially surprised at how low they seem to go (even without active sub which will be supporting).

Looking forward to SEX build and hooking them up.

As a side note, I did find the designer's website where various cabinet designs and crossover schematics (including ovenight sensations) can be found.
I'm tempted to give the MTM versions a try - similar footprint but taller.

Offline Markkr

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 01:37:19 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Budget for the speakers, I think I’d be okay up to $500 and the longer and more technical the project is... the better. I enjoy the DIY part more than actually listening. I think I’ll grab a set of those Overnight Sensations since they're priced so reasonably.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 03:34:14 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Budget for the speakers, I think I’d be okay up to $500 and the longer and more technical the project is... the better. I enjoy the DIY part more than actually listening. I think I’ll grab a set of those Overnight Sensations since they're priced so reasonably.

If you are going to buy from Parts Express be prepared for stocking delays. Definitely worth waiting for though. Understand that the "kit" isn't complete though. You need to add a few items separately. Albeit a relatively minor gripe they could/should do a little better. Even if it means bumping up the price a little.

Offline Chris H

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 06:24:53 PM
That's correct, a couple of pairs of binding posts, some screws, something to mount the crossover on, some polyfil, hookup wire (speaker wire will do) plus finish of your choice.

A few extras needed but not much - we've been spoilt by the quality and completeness of the Bottlehead kits.  ;)

Offline Markkr

Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 04:02:22 PM
Another question... I already ordered the Overnight Sensations, parts are starting to arrive already.

Would I notice much of a difference in near-field performance with a Stereomour II vs the S.E.X.? My source is a Node2i > Schiit Bifrost2 > {yet to be chosen amplifier}

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 04:04:57 PM
The Stereomour II has roughly twice the power, extra inputs, and a tube that's far more linear.  It's a bit big for a desktop amp, but if you have the space and don't plan to use headphones, it is a better performer.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Markkr

Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 04:34:51 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Crackatwoa for my Headphones (HD600 and 650). I suppose I need to figure out if both the Crackatwoa and Stereomour will fit on my desk.