Is there a thread of completed projects (to see how people finished the wood)?

canonken · 1542

Offline canonken

Sorry if I missed it, but would love to see a collection of different wood finishes people used, bell housing finishes, or other small mods (like feet) that were done.

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
The Gallery was removed a good while back, think it was causing bandwidth issues with the hosting.

M.McCandless

Offline oguinn

I created a gallery at www.diyaudiogallery.com. Always looking for new contributions

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
I'll have to clean my amps and get better pictures to contribute there. 

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline oguinn

I look forward to it!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Colonl_Charisma

Sweet! I'll contribute to your gallery too. I've actually been wanting a place to look at other builds as well.

Ross

Offline oguinn

Awesome!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline canonken

Cool thanks!

I just ordered my Reduction and trying to figure out what I want to do with the wood (I don't want to 'color' it per se, but something that really brings out the woodiness and makes it pop).  What finish does Bottlehead use on the images on their site?

Also debating options for the bell housing.  My easy option would just be black spray paint then some sort of spray clear coat or similar over the top.  However, I have seen some images of dark bronze/copper that looks interesting.  I also saw some people using different screws for the bell housing (some brass slot head style ones).

I plan on leaving the plate alone.

What was done to the wood on this (what they show on their site?)

Offline Natural Sound

I use "Tried and True" finishes on my bottlehead bases. It doesn't contain any nasty toxic chemicals.

You'll want to put some kind of a coating on the bell end too or it will rust. Spray paint is fine. Some of the guys around here use gun bluing which looks real nice. "Birchwood Casey" seems to be a popular brand.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
I also recommend Tried and True.  It is very close in appearance to what we use for the kits we photograph, which is often either gun stock oil or linseed oil.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline canonken

Cool thanks!

Offline Adrian

I use "Tried and True" finishes on my bottlehead bases. It doesn't contain any nasty toxic chemicals.

You'll want to put some kind of a coating on the bell end too or it will rust. Spray paint is fine. Some of the guys around here use gun bluing which looks real nice. "Birchwood Casey" seems to be a popular brand.

2 or 3 coats of Tried and True will bring out the beauty of the wood and give it a wonderful sheen.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
The more recent bases in the product shots have been done with a little bit thinner oil than linseed oil alone or gunstock oil. I think I used Watco Danish oil. It seems to pop the grain very nicely. Re the bell ends, bluing is not a very good protectant against rust by itself. It is best sealed with something - oil at the very least, or a clear coat. I think my favorite finish for end bells is vein type powder coat. Make sure the bell end is meticulously clean before attempting to put on any finish. Acetone works well.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline canonken

Funny enough I used Watco Danish oil on this kit I did (good quality plywood) and while I liked the results, it doesn't glow...likely because of the wood (not nice solid wood).  I might just do that again.  Was it just the plain 'Natural' color or one of the 'colored' Danish oils?

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-12m-folded-horn-kit-pair/

I agree powder coating like that (I Google Image searched that phrase) looks great, but assume you need a shop to do it...or at the very least you'd need to buy some special tools?

What about one of the hammered effect spray paints?  Obviously would still lightly buff, clean it well (despite it saying you can go over rust and such).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-12-oz-Hammered-Dark-Bronze-Protective-Spray-Paint-7218830/100174984

Thanks!