New soldering station

johnsonad · 6112

Offline johnsonad

on: January 09, 2021, 05:56:50 AM
My Hakko 936 soldering station finally died.  It was a good station but has been discontinued. After some research, I settled on the Hakko FX-951. It's an upgraded station but at a lower price then comparable stations.  It also had great reviews from folks that solder for a profession. It's more station than I need but should be supported for years to come.

Aaron Johnson

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 06:32:57 AM
"It's more station than I need..."

What the #@LL does that mean!  I don't understand the point you appear to  be making!   ;)

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 06:44:45 AM
Translated, for the work I do, a station at a third of the price would do the same.

The tip selection for this station is amazing.  Plenty of the right tool for the job options.

Aaron Johnson

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 07:13:21 AM
Looks like a nice bit of kit.  I have the lower model FX-888D and as you say, more station than i need..

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 07:40:39 AM
I saw lots of the FX-888 stations in some Nasa videos and also decided that would be adequate for my need.  Other than it being way too easy to adjust the calibration rather than the tip temperature, it's a good station.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline debk

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 04:35:35 PM
I too have the fx-888d.  I am very happy with it

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline BNAL

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 02:43:39 AM
I’m still using a Hakko 936 soldering station that I bought for my first kit back in 2004. It was a Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.0.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Markkr

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 04:12:25 PM
I cant seem to kill my 20yr old Weller WESD51... I’m itching for something new but it just wont die

Offline johnsonad

Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 02:26:54 AM
The military movers damaged my station otherwise I would have been happy using it for many more years. Tomorrow a pair of new OPT's will arrive and the new station will get its first job. It's odd to say but I'm looking forward to it :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline BNAL

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 06:28:04 AM
I would think it would be odd if your were not looking forward to a new toy.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline johnsonad

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 02:09:16 AM
Used it for the first time this weekend.  The solder pen is very light.  I can imagine if you were working a station all day it would make a big difference. I set the temp for 350C to start. It's hard to describe but it seemed to transfer heat better than my last iron. Maybe higher capacitance? I had no problem using a lower temp with this iron.  The sleep function is also neat.  When you return the pen to the holder, it lowers the temp of the pen. Once you remove it, it quickly comes back up to temp and beeps once it's reached.  You can turn this function off if you like. 

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase.

Aaron Johnson

Offline caffeinator

Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 02:11:22 PM
I cant seem to kill my 20yr old Weller WESD51... I’m itching for something new but it just wont die

I had the same problem...so I packed up and moved, and then couldn't find the box with the Weller in it...so I got the Hakko...then, of course, somehow I found an extra iron for the Weller...still couldn't find the Weller...so, I packed up and moved again...then I needed the Hakko...but found the Weller...and then found the Hakko...

So then I decided I needed a solder station in the garage and on the bench...

So, you could pack, move, unpack, pack, move, and unpack again...or, just say f@c! it and get the Hakko...and put the Weller in the garage.

Deke609

Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 02:44:15 PM
Somehow I manage to go through the same cycle of get, misplace, buy new, also misplace, refind, have too many ... and so on, all without moving.  I guess I'm just lucky that way.  ;D

Offline Clover

Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 12:42:06 PM
I just ordered my first kit and want to just get a quality soldering station.  At this point, I'd rather just buy a quality tool now instead of string a cheapos like I started out with.  Looking on Amazon, I came across the Hakko and the Weller options both at around a hundred dollars.  Just from the very little I have looked, it seems like both brands are pretty well regarded.  I was leaning towards the Hakko but see a couple of you have now owned both.  What would you recommend for someone just starting out down this path but also likes to pick up decent tools and as they learn new skills?  Is there something else I should consider instead.  Thanks.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 02:30:06 PM
I have a 35 year old Unger iron that I pull out from time to time. Mostly for work outside the house. For bench work my Hakko 936 is still going strong. I've soldered up quite a few Bottlehead kits with the 936.