My new DAC

Thermioniclife · 1877

Offline Thermioniclife

on: January 10, 2021, 01:18:35 PM
Hey folks,
Last year I posted a Question about a DAC kit on the forum and did not get very good suggestions because most used smd's, not my forte. So I hemmed and hawed and finally settled on an ANK DAC 2.1 kit. I am happy to report that I am quite enamored with it on my limited listening time as I just finished it 3 days ago. Nice quality parts and chassis. I ordered the standard kit and Brian from ANK upgraded the resistors on the analog line board with Audio Note tantalum's for free, they are quite pricey at about $7 each and there are 10 of them. He also sent the wrong regulator tube for the B+ board and sent me 2 nice Svetlana 6bm8/ecl82 tubes overnight, Kuddos Brian. I listened in my Evil Laboratory with my mono pair of s3x's with Paradigm Atoms and Overnight sensations, Nice. Last night I tried with Senn HD-650's on my C2A and it sounded divine! I have only used the USB input as of now but I will try out the coax input with a Polk sat. tuner tomorrow. This DAC is dead quiet and quite spacious in delivery. Thanks Brian.
Of course YMMV. It's only my 2 cents and who am I? really Who am I? Can anybody tell me?
Happy New Year All.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 01:24:48 PM
Forgot the Pics.

Lee R.

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 02:52:16 PM
How much SMD work was there? It looks like a couple ICs. I also hate surface mount so would love to work on a DAC kit that didn’t have a ton of it.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 03:07:45 PM
I built my ANK DAC 2.1B several years ago when the analog board was still 6299.  There were no SMD's in the build. The digital board had the chips already populated. It is a great piece of kit. The old AD1855 DAC is R2R and sounds really good without any oversampling. Very analog-like without all the digi-hash.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline canonken

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 03:29:29 PM
Wow, I looked at the website, there is a lot going on there!  Funny to think about having a DAC with a full tube array!

Glad you like it.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 03:33:11 PM
I just thought that I replied but I must have not (do not get old)  There is no SMD work to do. the USB board is prebuilt  as well as the the Digital input board all others are thru hole. No problem. I have the DAC and my C2A warming up for another listening  session tonight. I have not used the coax input yet but will do soon with a Polk audio Sat. Radio tuner tomorrow. so far i love this DAC!

Lee R.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 07:08:14 PM
... and who am I? really Who am I? Can anybody tell me?...
"Who am I

to stand and wonder
to wait

while the wheels of fate
slowly grind my life away

Who am  I?"

Music of my misspent youth.

Paul Joppa

Deke609

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 05:18:16 AM
I thought things were taking a bit of dark poetic turn until I searched PJ's quote and found that it's from Country Joe and the Fish!

... my misspent youth.

Meh ... if it wasn't misspent, it wouldn't have been youth: wasting time with stupid stuff b/c of a foolish but unshakeable sense that one will never get old. What I regret: taking myself so damn seriously.  Oh, the problems I caused myself and others b/c of it.

"I was so much older then;
I'm younger than that now"

cheers, Derek

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 05:47:17 AM
Looks real good lee. What are you feeding the USB with, the laptop shown in the picture? FLAC, MP3, Streaming service? The only downside I see is that the ANK DAC is limited to 24bit/96khz. Not a problem if your music collections doesn't exceed that.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 06:29:39 AM
Mostly mp3's , You tube music vids, Polk audio xrt-12 sat. tuner via coax. That about sums it up.

Lee R.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 06:38:46 AM
... the ANK DAC is limited to 24bit/96khz. Not a problem if your music collections doesn't exceed that.

I gonna be a bit of a B!T@# here.  (Please bear in mind this is my opinion based on my listening!)  This numbers game is what ruined digital and so many other audio products.  "Whose got the bigger D!@K!?"

NOS R2R DAC's are the opposite of this silly marketing game. The decoding is a completely different process.  It is simple. In my experience simple is usually better. (That is why I use SET's & horns). I would put a well designed NOS R2R DAC against any PCM OS DAC. 

Digital always damages the sound wave, it is unavoidable by the very nature of the process.  The numbers fetish folk just keep bumping the over-sampling rates to give the appearance that  the perceptual damage of the sampling rate and quantization algorithm are sufficiently low enough to more closely  approach the waveform of the original analog signal. All the extra processing just adds to the problem. Kind of like cooking! Wow! This is way too salty! Better add more salt!

Sorry to rant.  And, of course, as in most things, YMMV!!

Happy New Year!!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 07:19:37 AM
In Tom's defense, I don't think he was making a statement about subjective quality of various sample rates. It seems more about utility. There might be some music one likes that can only be had in 24/192. If your DAC can't play it, you don't get to enjoy it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 08:19:19 AM
In Tom's defense, I don't think he was making a statement about subjective quality of various sample rates. It seems more about utility. There might be some music one likes that can only be had in 24/192. If your DAC can't play it, you don't get to enjoy it.

Fair enough.  My online streaming service lets me limit the data rate to 24/96.  I still play some tracks listed with higher data rates. Sound fine. don't really know what,  if any, I am missing or what, if anything, Qobuz is doing behind the scenes.  Most of my serious listening is still vinyl and tape.

Tom, if I took your comment out of context, please forgive me!!

Cheers,
Geary

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 11:58:37 AM
No harm, no foul. If you want to offend me you need to work a lot harder at it. ;)  I agree with most of what you said, Geary. I'd estimate that 80+ percent of the music files I have on my server are 16bit/44khz and they sound very nice indeed. I do hear an improvement in sound quality in most cases when switching from 16bit to 24bit files though. But honestly the higher sampling rates are probably wasted on my nearly 6 decade old ears. There are some notable exceptions however. Jazz at the Pawn Shop comes to mind. I own two different copies. One is 24/88 and the other is 24/192. I'm not sure if they both come from the same master or not but the 24/192 recording sounds quite a bit better to my ears regardless of what the numbers are telling me.

Deke609

Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 12:43:18 PM
Dummy question here: what role do/can tubes play in the digital to analog conversion process?  Out of ignorance I just assumed that DA conversion can only be performed by solid state parts. Does the resulting analog signal need to be amplified to some useable voltage, and if so, is that the role that tubes can play in a DAC? Or can tubes play a direct role in the DA conversion itself?

cheers and thanks, Derek