Tidal tryout

monsterdonkey · 3667

Offline monsterdonkey

on: January 14, 2021, 06:55:25 PM
When I stream I’ve been using Spotify from my iPhone to my Crack via  Airport Express V2 which maxes out at 16 bit and 44.1kHz. It’s WiFi, not Bluetooth. It’s good enough for Spotify which is 320kbps, but it’s also good enough for Tidal HiFi which is 1411kbps. I can’t use it for Tidal Masters. Apparently 24 bit just gets down-converted and I don’t know what nonsense that might introduce.
I have a family plan for Spotify and I listen to podcasts at work, something that Tidal isn’t quite caught up with Spotify on. Although Tidal HiFi quality is noticeably better I don’t know if it’s better enough to justify another monthly subscription. I have a four month trial so maybe by then I’ll be hooked, which I suppose is the idea.
I tried the 360 audio Tidal offers but I can’t get into it. Good old fashioned two channel stereo for me, streaming through the air from my pocket computer. Ha ha.

Offline Chris H

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 08:38:33 PM
Whilst I have been into music my whole life, I have only really got into hifi (and an appreciation for what it can do) more recently.
As your system improves, the difference in source becomes more noticable and the Crack is good enough to appreciate quality of recording.
I switched from Spotify to Tidal and have not regretted it.
Also, if your main source is your phone then a DAC will make the difference more appreciable (is that a word?)

Offline jjvornov

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 04:03:06 AM
I also think the differences are noticeable but lots of these libraries still have mostly CD quality, not hi-res files streaming. I've found Qobuz now to have the best selection of Jazz and Classical hi-res but it's always changing.

By the way, for low bit rate, Apple Music often sounds really good. They get hi-res uploaded to them and they must be doing some processing on their end to preserve dynamics because some of the cuts sound really good.

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 05:06:36 AM
I agree with jjornov completely. Qobuz's library is better for most things I listen to as well (post punk, 80s indie rock, new indie rock), and Apple Music punches well above its weight class.

I have a Schiit Bifrost I use as a DAC and it clicks when it switches between audio sample rates. Qobuz's library isn't all at any one quality (especially if you have it default to the highest quality) so the DAC clicks constantly between tracks. I'll sometimes just stick to Apple Music streamed over Airplay 2 into a Pi2AES connected to the Bifrost if I want to listen to a playlist without the clicking. I use Songshift, then, to keep my Apple Music and Qobuz libraries and playlists in sync.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Deluk

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 01:18:41 AM
I think it would be a good idea to contact Schiit about the Bifrost clicks. It may be just your unit or if yours is an early version perhaps they have fixed the problem. Would be interesting to see what they say. They seem an honest company, unlike some others who don't give a sh*t.

Offline bernieclub

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 01:40:26 AM
The clicking is caused by mechanical vs electronic switching.    Distracting, but normal.

Bernie Zitomer

Offline oguinn

Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 02:51:24 AM
Yeah it’s called out specifically in the product documentation that it’s normal operation. I didn’t think it’d be a big deal, but it is kind of annoying

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball