Mainline with High Impedance Headphones

ScottAstroNut · 1087

Offline ScottAstroNut

on: January 21, 2021, 04:45:19 PM
I am currently using a S.E.X. 3.0 with 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones, and the S.E.X. has no problem driving these cans. However,  I notice that the volume has to be turned up pretty high compared to my lower impedance headphones, such as my 32 ohm Grados. I am considering upgrading to a Mainline but am concerned about its ability to drive headphones like my DT880's given its lower power rating. Might someone be able to comment on this situation? Thanks!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline for headphones.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 04:49:15 PM
However,  I notice that the volume has to be turned up pretty high compared to my lower impedance headphones, such as my 32 ohm Grados.
This may have a lot more to do with gain rather than available power. 

I am considering upgrading to a Mainline but am concerned about its ability to drive headphones like my DT880's given its lower power rating. Might someone be able to comment on this situation?
How much source voltage do you have available?  If you have a DAC with 2V of output, you're going to be in good shape with a Mainline.  If you're using an 1/8 TRS to RCA cable plugged into your phone, then the Mainline will appear to not work all that well with the 600 ohm DT880s. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:47:42 AM
Thanks, Paul, for the quick response. Sounds like I will be OK with the Beyer DT8880's on the Mainline. I am using pretty robust sources, so should be fine, I think.

I can feel the craving for yet another Bottlehead build coming on! (These kits are addictive!)

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline for headphones.