Weak left Channel - What to check? [resolved]

jrhunter62 · 2312

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #30 on: February 11, 2021, 02:47:28 PM
10KHz: R- .091, L- .026
Can you double check that there's not an extra zero here? 

I would also be sure that your center C4S board is really well soldered.  A loose 75K resistor on that board would do some strange things but the servo might be able to compensate on the DC side enough that it's only noticeable with AC. 

Beyond that do you happen to have a spare 0.1uF/400V capacitor around?  Or something similar?  We can use that to check those levels on the plate of the EF86s, as many meters don't measure AC well in the presence of DC. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #31 on: February 11, 2021, 03:16:46 PM
Sure looks like it's the equalization. Because the 10kHz gain is most affected, my suspicion is that the 0.01uF and 0.03uF are swapped on the left channel.

In any case, the equalization is only four components - those two caps, and the 75K and 10.7K resistors.

Paul Joppa

Offline jrhunter62

Reply #32 on: February 11, 2021, 04:31:50 PM
Found it.  I had the both 0.01uF on one side and both 0.03uF on the other. They are now in the correct places.  I threw on a record and it sounds much better now.  Thanks for sticking with me all week.  Even with this hiccup it has been a blast putting this together and troubleshooting it.  I have learned a lot and am excited to find my next build.  Going to do a lot of listening this weekend and I will check back in and let you know how it goes.  Thanks!

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #33 on: February 11, 2021, 05:10:22 PM
Fabulous! Glad it's sorted now.

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2021, 06:32:39 AM
This thread reinforces the notion that sometimes it can be helpful to get a second set of eyes on the circuit. Even if those eyes are not experienced at building they may spot something that you have been looking at repeatedly and not seeing. Happens to all of us.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jrhunter62

Reply #35 on: February 12, 2021, 06:49:05 AM
I agree completely.  Where I work we call it 2nd party verification.  Unfortunately my wife had little interest in checking my work.  Most days I consider that a good thing!

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #36 on: February 12, 2021, 10:59:43 AM
I'm retired now but I worked in IT for 39 years.  The classic IBM Mainframe trio of COBOL, CICS and DB2.  There were definitely times when we needed another set of eyes to help debug our code.  Fortunately, we had tools to allow us to single-step each line of code to see what was happening.  Too bad there's nothing like that for kit building.  OTOH, with the experience on this forum, problems can be narrowed down to the most likely culprits.

I mentioned this because while I don't really understand any of technical stuff, I find the debugging skills of PB, PJ and Doc fascinating.  That's why I enjoy reading all of the threads.

Gerry               

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #37 on: February 12, 2021, 11:50:15 AM
Gerry - that "line by line" debugging is reflected in our increasing used of multiple pauses in the manuals to test the progress so far. (I didn't make the connection until I saw your post, but the principle is the same. Thanks!)

I honed my debugging using (mostly) FORTRAN from the same era ...

Paul Joppa

Offline Ascari

Reply #38 on: February 12, 2021, 12:38:01 PM
What this thread proves if that Bottlehead is one company that follows through in all ways, not just now but for years to come.     How many more companies go to the extreme that Bottlehead does, please show them to me so that I may give them my business.