To paint or not to paint the Power Chokes

acrockett55 · 851

Offline acrockett55

on: February 16, 2021, 01:09:58 PM
Looking for some recommendations on painting or not painting the PC's. I am thinking I want to but is there any downside to painting them? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 04:33:04 AM
I painted the chokes on my S.E.X. and have had no negative consequences. The  way I look at it, the paint adds an additional level of corrosion resistance to the chokes. Just don't bake the chokes to cure the paint. They won't like that!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline for headphones.

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 05:31:45 AM
Many people paint them. You’ll need to sand off the protective coating on them. I have a bunch of photos of other people’s kits with painted covers at diyaudiogallery.com

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 09:44:14 AM
They are plate chokes, not power chokes. They have varnish on them. The varnish does not need to be completely removed to paint (don't use lacquer), but it makes sense to scuff it with sandpaper and wipe it with a degreaser like naptha, lacquer thinner or acetone before painting to get the best adhesion of the new finish.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.