Addicted

Markkr · 1110

Offline Markkr

on: February 16, 2021, 03:48:24 PM
Addicted to building these kits!

I started with a pair of Cracks+SB... now have a C2A that I absolutely LOVE... I have no desire to change my headphones, as I’m perfectly content with my complete collection of Senn “6 series”.

I’d like to now focus on building a comparable speaker rig. I want the C2A + HD600 in speaker form for my home office. The speakers would need to be bookshelf size.

Can I get a recommendation for BH amp/pre-amp and speakers that would sound like C2A+HD600? (I’m perfectly happy to DIY the speakers as well)

Offline Jamier

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 04:27:55 PM
How large is your room? You need to consider your speaker sensitivity when selecting your amplifier power capability. This is very much like the previous thread. If your looking for headphone like sound from a loudspeaker you may be disappointed,  as no loudspeaker will give you that between the ears image. But,  if you are willing to trade  for a forward imaging version of that, a Waveguide TM (tweeter on top, midwoofer on bottom) or a waveguide TMM, like the Jaegers, may make you very happy, as long as the speaker of choice has voice coil alignment and a true, second order crossover.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Markkr

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 04:33:37 PM
The room is small, and full of “stuff” as its my home office + hobby room + guest room... (11’ x 12’ ). Theres no floor space, so wall mounted speakers or bookshelf would be a requirement. Speakers could be placed up to 9’ apart at most. I get it, this is not an ideal listening room... and I’m okay with the forward presentation, I simply want the warm and clear sound that I get from the C2A + HD600’s.

Offline Jamier

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 04:51:58 PM
I’m not sure anyone has the perfect listening space. Nine feet apart is probably too far apart for that space, but that’s OK, you can probably close that a little, right? Wall mounting is not a great solution unless the speakers are specifically designed for that purpose. Do you have room to stand mount a, say,a 1/2 cubic foot enclosure? That would be roughly 9 * 12 * 16.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 09:50:23 AM
Take a look at Blumenstein Orcas with an active subwoofer and a Stereomour II. Headphones and speakers will always sound different. But that combination of amp and speakers sounds very good and images quite well in a smaller room. The Orcas do pretty well mounted on the wall.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Markkr

Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 02:11:23 PM
Take a look at Blumenstein Orcas with an active subwoofer and a Stereomour II. Headphones and speakers will always sound different. But that combination of amp and speakers sounds very good and images quite well in a smaller room. The Orcas do pretty well mounted on the wall.

Oh I like the look of that, is a subwoofer required for the Orcas?

I think I’m going to order the StereomourII this week, seems to be amp solution I’m seeking (I was originally considering the S.E.X.)

Offline Markkr

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 02:12:10 PM
I’m not sure anyone has the perfect listening space. Nine feet apart is probably too far apart for that space, but that’s OK, you can probably close that a little, right? Wall mounting is not a great solution unless the speakers are specifically designed for that purpose. Do you have room to stand mount a, say,a 1/2 cubic foot enclosure? That would be roughly 9 * 12 * 16.

Jamie

Unfortunately I have zero floor space... just too many things going on in that room. I can do any spacing 9ft or less.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 04:41:42 AM
Addicted...you and me both brother!
You don't mention if you are going to be listening primarily while working at a desk or you want it set up for general listening in the room.
If a desk with limited space is a consideration, a SEX amp will save a surprising amount of real-estate. While I would never try to talk a fellow BH down from an SII (it is my main amp) there is a good dose of magic to be found listening to a small single-driver plus powered sub set up through a SEX amp in the near-field.
Then build the SII for the den system...and the Kiaju, or two, for the big rig in the living room...
Karl, Bottlehead enabler

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 08:17:54 AM
RE Orcas and a subwoofer. Like everything in audio this is a matter of taste. For me a subwoofer is mandatory. That is simply my taste and not a pontification by some self proclaimed guru. This is also not dissing the Orcas at all, they get good bass for their size and I imagine there are folks out there who prefer them without a sub. Bear in mind those are 3" drivers. Physics is physics.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 10:36:04 AM
What Doc said.
Not Orcas but my Fostex based speakers are very similar. There are times that I neglect to turn on the sub amp and don't notice it until a particular tune comes on where I miss the bottom octaves. They will play to very satisfactory volume levels within the confines of a similar sized office with just a few watts on tap.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Markkr

Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 01:09:59 PM
Thanks guys. I sincerely appreciate the enablement! (Though my wife would disagree)

More often than not, this will be utilized while working during the day... maybe the S.E.X.  Would be enough... price is less of a concern vs space consumption.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 10:49:41 AM
Hey Markkr;

I have a pair of Orcas sitting on their subs playing in my 14x18 room very nicely driven by a Custom Bottlehead 2A3 amp. The only limitation I see is the limited power handling of the speakers. However, I have PB building a pair of Jäegars for me, and I expect that my new speaker/amp combo to solve my listening demands beautifully for the rest of my life(82 now), from Pablo Casals, to Gustave Mahler, to Keith Jarrett. You have been offered good counsel here on the BH Forum, so good luck and happy listening!

Cheers, Hank Murrow

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 11:01:08 AM
We had a pair of Orcas run by a S.E.X. amp and later by a StereomourII in our previous packing room, for about 8 years. Pretty sure Eileen wishes I would get off my butt and set up a system in the current packing room.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 11:22:58 AM
It would do you good dear sir to please the Queen as we all know when the Queen is not happy her minion will not be happy!!  ;D

Lee R.

Offline Markkr

Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 02:24:06 PM
I know this isn't the Blumenstein Orca forum... but you guys seem very informed about them.

Are they prebuilt? Are the cabinets finished?

I love the bamboo looking ones, but they’re not in stock.