Sources for 3S4 tubes?

russtafarian · 44040

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #45 on: August 24, 2010, 03:53:56 AM
  I have ordered the Mullards from Tubecrazy so I would have a set on hand when the Quickie kit arrives. 

I ordered Mullards from Tube Crazy as well. Did a Paypal payment and got an automated reply giving me an order number.

That was August 11 and no tubes yet and no reply to an email I sent to him. I don't mind a wait but I am a tad concerned.

Your tubes arrive yet? Any feedback?   

I have not yet had any correspondence from Tubecrazy.  Yesterday, I got a UPS shipping notice from Seattle for a 2 lb package, so I know my Quickie and PJCCS kit are on the way!  Perhaps we need to contact Tubecrazy and see what is going on.  I assume they keep up with the Forum, so I'm a bit surprised not to have heard something yet.

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 05:52:38 PM
  I have ordered the Mullards from Tubecrazy so I would have a set on hand when the Quickie kit arrives. 

I ordered Mullards from Tube Crazy as well. Did a Paypal payment and got an automated reply giving me an order number.

That was August 11 and no tubes yet and no reply to an email I sent to him. I don't mind a wait but I am a tad concerned.

Your tubes arrive yet? Any feedback?   

Your tubes are on the way.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #47 on: August 25, 2010, 07:10:03 PM
Thanks Paul!

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Wanderer

Reply #48 on: August 26, 2010, 03:01:38 AM
Thank you!! Thank you!!

I will be sure to report my impressions here when they show up. 

Kevin R-M

Offline Wanderer

Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 05:57:44 PM
No tubes yet - sadness reigns.

Kevin R-M

Offline Jeff

Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 09:30:22 AM
No tubes yet - sadness reigns.

I would suggest that you not wait too long to file a dispute. I just got the notice that PayPal refunded my $40 for my transaction with TubeCrazy. It had been 30 days with no communication with P.B. through any channel, including here, when I made my claim. PayPal allows disputes be filed only within 45 days of initiating a payment, so if I would have been much more patient with whatever issues P.B. is experiencing, I would have simply lost my money.

Better to have money and no tubes than no tubes and no money.

Jeff Ward

Offline cpaul

Reply #51 on: September 09, 2011, 05:39:32 AM
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but any new insights on 3s4/DL92 tube sources for Quickie?  Has Tubecrazy come through in the end?  Any wisdom in trying out Ebay for tubes?  What about Antique Electronic Supply, tubedepot and others?  I have a very limited budget right now and would like to make as sure a purchase as I can.  But every option seems to have drawbacks - either no idea what I'd be getting, no idea if the tubes would arrive, or the risks inherent in Ebay purchases (most of which have gone well for me so far...).

Thanks.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #52 on: September 09, 2011, 07:53:38 AM
Has Tubecrazy come through in the end?  

No joy from Tubecrazy. I did not enter a dispute. Way too long now, too bad.

The Yahoo storefront is still there. Caveat emptor. 

Can't answer the rest of your question but I am very interested what others have to say. Enjoy my PJCCS-Quickie very much and would be interested in tube rolling.  

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:01:28 AM by Wanderer »

Kevin R-M

Offline bainjs

Reply #53 on: September 09, 2011, 08:02:05 AM
I purchased some Amperex Bugle Boys from Tube World without any issues.  I've also picked some tubes on ebay without any problems from dealers with great feedback and testing equipment.   

Joel Bain

Offline cpaul

Reply #54 on: September 14, 2011, 04:22:49 AM
I'm still researching this, but so far I've found this supplier with Mullards and a few others:  http://www.dbtubes.com/tube-detail.php?ID=2730.

Offline cpaul

Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 05:08:21 AM
OK, I found NOS Mullard CV820/3S4 tubes on Ebay which seem to have worked out pretty well.  He says NOS Mullard, and what little research I have done seems to suggest that's correct (not printed Mullard).  They are 5

Offline cpaul

Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 05:29:41 AM
Hmmm.  Anyone know anything about this site?  http://amperexusa.com/node/131.  Not sure if they are Amperex tubes or not but I've contacted them to find out more.  Shopping cart doesn't show up as secure, and I've never seen the site before, but it came up high on the list of a search for Amperex 3s4.  Thanks.

Edit: a whois lookup shows godday.com as the owner of the site!?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:20:07 AM by cpaul »

Offline cpaul

Reply #57 on: September 29, 2011, 11:00:24 AM
Email response from the amperexusa.com site says they only have GE and RCA brands of 3S4 tubes, priced at $2 each.  $6.50 for shipping either 4 or 8 to New England area.

Offline bainjs

Reply #58 on: September 29, 2011, 11:45:49 AM
  They usually run about $15 - $20 ea.  I can attest to the very low harmonics with the bugle boys.  They've been great!

Joel
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:52:02 AM by bainjs »

Joel Bain

Offline kidmoe

Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 02:45:13 PM
I'm still researching this, but so far I've found this supplier with Mullards and a few others:  http://www.dbtubes.com/tube-detail.php?ID=2730.

Ordered these.  They arrived fairly quickly.  Marked Mullard but made in Holland so I'm guessing Amperex..