Drop Sennheiser HD 8XX Headphone preorder

jjvornov · 4036

Offline jjvornov

on: February 19, 2021, 09:31:09 AM
If you haven't seen it, Drop is doing a run of a modified Sennheiser HD820 for a nice price. It's $1100 with $200 worth of Drop Points for a future purchase. I've stuck with the HD650 and the Drop HD 6XX for use with my Crack, but this has gotten me to finally move up to an 800 level. The Drop HD6XX was a good deal and an interesting variation on the existing Sennheiser headphones. Big drawback is that this is like a kickstarter deal where delivery isn't until November.

https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-hd-8xx-headphones?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2016123&referer=U6373M&mode=guest_open&iterableCampaignId=2016123&iterableTemplateId=2767466

Deke609

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 01:17:30 PM
Thanks for posting about this. I've been thinking of getting the HD800S as a counterpoint to my LCD4s: the latter are warm with emphasis on mids and bass, whereas I've read that the Senn's emphasize the treble and are known for their detail and imaging. And whereas the 800 (not the "S") was reported to be a little sharp at 6KHz, I've read that this is now fixed with a "resonator" donut that counteracts the 6KHz resonance. 

And now there's the HD8XX! Going by the ad copy on Drop, it seems it uses the same drivers as the H800S but with different damping materials and a different resonator donut.  The frequency response plot comparing HD8XX to the HD800S looks promising. I like mids and bass, and so the HD8XX may be more up my alley. But the plot showalso s that the 8XX has an even greater boosted response between about 2.5KHz and 4KHz. I've read that 2K to 4K is the range of the human voice, but also chalkboard and styrofoam squeak, to which I am unusually sensitive. 

Before reading your post I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on the HD800S. But now I'll wait to read some non-Drop reviews comparing the HD8XX and HD800S before choosing between them. 

cheers, Derek

Offline Mastaboog749

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 08:45:44 AM
They got a great deal if you add on the balanced cable as well!

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 09:21:34 AM
An odd first post...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man