Soft start LEDs [resolved]

Neuronal · 2772

Offline Neuronal

• Datta Lab Website
on: March 05, 2021, 01:34:33 PM
Doing a soft start install on Paramounts - resistances are fine, board kicks in after ~10 seconds or so (voltage falls to ~300V), but neither of the B side LEDs light. Is that normal behavior, or should i pop the board and reheat everything? I didn't take voltages because I didn't want to damage anything before I figure this out...as always, thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 06:48:49 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Bob D
Rega P2, Cosecant DAC, Reduction, EFP III, Paramount V1.0 + soft start, Omega CAMs + DeepHemp 8s

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 03:43:59 PM
You should measure voltages for sure!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Neuronal

• Datta Lab Website
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 06:41:01 AM
Well, that was silly. I never went back and looked at the LEDs after the regulator kicks in - they light fine if I wait 30 seconds (just delayed with the circuit), and the voltages are fine across the board. Paul, I feel like you've become my therapist as I deal with all my anxieties in the form of amp building - I hope there is some sort of BH event when this is all over so I can buy you a couple fingers of Pappy in thanks for all your help.

As an aside, I put the one amp I have finished upgrading back into my system so I can A/B the upgrade - the 5670 sounds really different from the 12at7 in the original build. To my ears sounds way less aggro and feels much more laid back in a way I really really like. Very much looking forward to doing the other one and breaking the whole thing in. Highly recommended upgrade for those who haven't done it yet.

Bob D
Rega P2, Cosecant DAC, Reduction, EFP III, Paramount V1.0 + soft start, Omega CAMs + DeepHemp 8s