Biamping the Jagers

ScottAstroNut · 3484

Offline ScottAstroNut

on: March 09, 2021, 06:57:48 AM
How well would it work to biamp the Jagers with the S.E.X. and a Kaiju? I am just curious, since I have both amps.

Thanks!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline for headphones.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 07:41:45 AM
Haven't tried it so I can't comment on the sound of the matchup. It will work fine from a technical standpoint. Best bet would be to try the different combinations (Kaiju alone, S.E.X. alone, Kaiju and S.E.X.) and see which you prefer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 08:13:18 AM
I'm using a Stereomour and a Kaiju, which wasn't your question, but the reason I bring it up is because it's super easy to switch from one amp to bi-amping. The most difficult part is moving the speaker cabinet to change cable setups.

I think I like bi-amping better, but I'll test again once the baby's old enough for me to get some time to myself. Like I said, very very easy.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 10:55:40 AM
I am very much looking forward to building the Jagers once they arrive, but am even more excited to hear what they sound like. If they work out as well as I think they will, these will be "end-game" speakers for me. That they are so easy to work with will be a real treat, so thank you for those comments.

The only downside to the Jagers that I can see is their weight. My workshop where I will build the speakers is in my basement. I think I'm going to need help getting them to my upstairs listening room once they are built. Still, I'll only have to do that once!

Thanks again!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline for headphones.

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 11:28:17 AM
I built them in my office for precisely the same reason. I put down drop cloths and just dealt with the clutter for a week.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 12:07:04 PM
That sounds like a plan. I think I'll build the Jagers in my listening room.

Congratulations on the baby. I know how they cut down on listening time, but, boy, cherish every minute of baby time. They grow fast! "Yesterday" my girl was just learning to walk. Today she is 17 and trying to figure out what college she wants to go to! Enjoy!

Scott Burgess

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 06:51:48 AM
For what it's worth I have built them in the room and I have also manhandled them up a set of stairs. I've done it a few times which, after looking at myself in the roughs of my new video yesterday, seems pretty impressive for such a pot bellied old geezer. With two people it's easy.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 07:18:40 AM
True. I should note that my office is on the third floor of our house and up a narrow butler’s staircase that winds 360 degrees in one flight, so combining that with a pregnant wife meant that building in situ was basically my only option.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 10:20:47 AM
You mean the butler didn't take them up there for you? I'd be looking for a new butler.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 10:34:38 AM
I think the Butler that was supposed to come with the house died in 1943.

Jameson O'Guinn

-