Step up as step down?

Giorgos · 814

Offline Giorgos

on: March 09, 2021, 11:41:21 PM
Hello,
I have an question. Is it possible to using a step up transformer, as step down. Let s say switch the input as output, and the output as input...
I am sorry if this is stupid because i am not a expert in electonics.
Thank you anyway for your answer. The reason is i have full drive input in phonostage "eros" with the Ortofon 2M red and i am thinging if this or something else is possible to make step down.

Ortofon 2Mred - Alphason Opal - Systemdeck IIX - Eros Bottlehead - audio research vsi55 - Fostex double bass reflex enclosure 83nv fullrange; speakers.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 02:25:46 AM
You MM cartridge will work fine with the Eros.  Just run it straight in.  No step up or step down needed.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 05:37:18 AM
Yes, there are step-down transformers.  Usually they are used where low drive impedance is required.  I have listened to several systems with the Ortofon Red/Blue/Black cartridges on an Eros and never experienced an issue.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Giorgos

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 06:19:35 AM
Ok. Then i have wrong cartridge? for my alphason Opal, talking about compliance because the manual say: effective mass 13g suitable cartridges with compliances up to 35cu! The truth is when i bought the tonearm it was with Goldring eroica high output. Maybe finaly it is worth to retip the old cartridge. Would you recommend me a high compliance at a reasonable price? Many thanx for all and happy listenings to all.

Ortofon 2Mred - Alphason Opal - Systemdeck IIX - Eros Bottlehead - audio research vsi55 - Fostex double bass reflex enclosure 83nv fullrange; speakers.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 06:34:02 AM
Cartridge compliance has nothing to do with the Eros and step-up/down transformers.

The compliance of the 2M red is 20 um/Mn, so that would appear to work well with the specifications provided by your tonearm.

If you used an Eroica with the Eros, you could try the Sowter 1090 step-ups to bump up the signal level a bit.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man