Power Transformer 2nd Test - Zero V [resolved]

Ibycus · 323

Offline Ibycus

on: March 14, 2021, 10:23:11 AM
Hi!

New Crack builder here.

On my first Power Transformer test I was getting a reading of 2 Volts so I went ahead and did the wiring for LESS than 115V. After that when I tested the AC volts for 7, 9 and 12, 11, both had a reading of zero :-(

Fuse is in, power button was on.

I guess I should just remove the wires and go back to the first transformer test? Was it being 2V a sign something was wrong?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:46:24 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 10:27:30 AM
It's definitely time to stop and get a handle on what's going on.  You absolutely 100% do not have 2V coming out of the wall. 

I would be almost positive that you aren't using your meter properly, can you post a picture of how you have it set to check your line voltage?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Ibycus

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 10:34:25 AM
Running that first test again gave me 0V this time....

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 10:35:49 AM
Pop those clips out and plug the meter probes into the outer two holes on your power cord (which you'll also need to unplug from the amp), then let us know what the meter reads.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Ibycus

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 10:44:41 AM
Argh....I figured it out, and you're going to laugh at me. I put the fuse into the holder instead of area below it, haha. :-[

My line voltage reading was 119V which means I did the wrong wiring for the following step. My 7, 9 test just read 7.73V.

Back to it.

Thanks for the quick reply.