Standard Crack 1.1 - Vol pot at 0% , 30% volume in rt Ch after 200hrs+ RESOLVED!

ewingfox · 381

Offline ewingfox

Ok - so first I scoured for an answer in the 'old' posts - but only found issues with folks who had done the Speedball Upgrade (mine is assembled but still on the bench, I'm loving it 'stock' so far!). After about 200hrs of use (or more) - essentially WEEKS of WFH with near constant use during the day - I started having 30% volume (arbitrary, but let's go with 30%) - out of my right channel, even when the volume is at 0%. When I turn UP the volume, the left channel comes 'up' but when i reach my typical listening volume  (which is just about 30%) the left channel sounds normal, the right channel sounds a bit... louder.  Just enough that it is VERY annoying. 

I assume that it could just be a worn pot, but I rarely move the volume knob (it just lives there at about 30%).  After the first time I heard this, I ran the volume pot up and down a handful of cycles and the problem went away - for about two weeks - now it's back :D

Any suggestions? I feel like its a faulty pot, but always happy to blame the assembler before I think otherwise.

E
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:49:51 AM by ewingfox »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
You could certainly replace the pot, but it could also just be a loose joint on the pot itself.  Typically a pot that fails and gives sound out when turned all the way down will give 100% output level, so since yours doesn't it could just be a less than perfect connection.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Have you tried spraying some cleaner in the pot?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ewingfox

woah - two legends in one thread!!!

PB - it isn't 100% - I was planning on re-flowing the joints tonight as a next step.

Doc! - I think (somewhere) I have some old TV Tuner Oil.  I posted this when my (albeit brief!) search for the 1970's vintage can came up short.  I'll scrounge some and try that as well.

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses!

E

Offline ewingfox

Ahem.  Step 1 for beginners, as casually (and very politely!) reinforced by the indubitable PB - did you try and reflow you soldier joints?

Reflowed the joints between two meetings today, problem solved.  The fact it was a mechanical part threw me off my game, thank you Paul for bringing me back to basics.

Take care,

E