Beepree with intergraded amp

Mordicai · 748

Offline Mordicai

on: March 28, 2021, 05:33:56 AM
All my amps are intergraded( crack,Sex, Stereomour ). Because of serious hearing disability I bought a Primaluna Evo 100. Also intergraded. Sounds great, but I want to build the new Breepree 2. Was wondering if there’s a way to use it with the primaluna, and wether anyone has done such a thing.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 06:42:24 AM
The Evo 100 has a whole ton of gain (about 36dB), so putting a preamp in front of it is somewhat questionable.  What speakers are you using with this setup?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mordicai

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 02:25:14 PM
Hi paul. I switched to Klipsch Heresy IV last year for gain, which I have plenty of now. I just have he itch to build, and was wondering if a Beepree2 could up the quality of the sound. My head tells me it’s not a match made in heaven.

Offline Deluk

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 02:13:45 AM
Sell your Stereomour and buy a pair of the Stereomour II's? That does depend on your budget of course but your current Steromour should sell well if it is a good build.

Deke609

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 05:37:33 AM
... was wondering if a Beepree2 could up the quality of the sound. ...

Leaving aside the fact that you don't need additional gain, my guess is that the BeePre would have a significant and, depending on your listening preferences, potentially positive effect on the sound. I haven't heard the Evo 100, but I assume it's push-pull, in which case I would expect that either (a) it is 3rd harmonic dominant with 2nd harmonic being really low, or else (b) uses feedback to reduce all harmonic distortion. In either case, I would expect adding the harmonic profile of a SET preamp like the BeePre would make a noticeable difference.

I for one love the sound signature of my Beepre 1 (I have yet to build my Beepre 2), and have experimented with replacing it with a high quality transformer-based attenuator -- which (leaving aside issues of cable and miller capacitance) was effectively like turning my Kaiju into an integrated amp. I preferred the BeePre. And I also prefer the Beepre in front of both my Stereomour II's, even though they're integrated and don't need a preamp.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers, Derek

Offline Mordicai

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 08:20:47 AM
Thanks for your reply. Just saw it. Maybe the fun thing to do is sell the Evo and build the Beepre + The new Monoblocks. That should cure my builditis for a while!