MQ grid chokes as Quickie plate chokes?

Len · 8556

Offline Len

on: November 03, 2009, 04:59:09 AM

> H              DC resistance (Ohms)
BCP-16 GC M6                >1,000          3,850
BCP-16 GC NI NICKEL       >2,000          3,850
BCP-16 GC HN HI NICKEL  >3,000          3,850

An earlier post from Paul Joppa on  determining which Grid Choke to use...

(In an attempt to keep this post in the correct category, I moved this question here from the SR45 thread.)

Hey, these values look decent for a plate choke for the Quickie. Is there any reason not to use one? (I mean is it logical to buy one for this purpose, since I don't have any).

It seems that for a low pass filter Quickie, one can't have too much inductance. Is there a limitation on bass because of the tube type (3S4)? If not, it would seem that the high nickels would be great for a low pass filter Quickie. I just got in a pair of Hammonds, but I could move them to the headphone Quickie where both bass and treble are equally important.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. This sounds pretty exciting, but I'm unfamiliar with the grid chokes and their application limitations.

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites
Heavily modded Soul Sister and Groove Thang
Quickie modded to active low pass filter
Quickie modded to headphone amp
Lots of Bottlehead parts used for building other stuff

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 05:52:11 AM
The BCP-16GC is normally a grid choke with interleaved laminations and zero tolerance for DC current, so it's not useful for Quickie.

But it was originally designed as a plate choke for low-current tubes like the 6SL7, and I have sent a query to Mike at Magnequest about making some available with a small airgap. We'll see what he says!

Paul Joppa

Offline Len

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:17:45 AM
The BCP-16GC is normally a grid choke with interleaved laminations and zero tolerance for DC current, so it's not useful for Quickie.

But it was originally designed as a plate choke for low-current tubes like the 6SL7, and I have sent a query to Mike at Magnequest about making some available with a small airgap. We'll see what he says!

Thanks!

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites
Heavily modded Soul Sister and Groove Thang
Quickie modded to active low pass filter
Quickie modded to headphone amp
Lots of Bottlehead parts used for building other stuff