better late than never? my build...

AstromanoftheFuture · 1285

Offline AstromanoftheFuture

on: April 23, 2021, 08:59:31 AM
I ordered my Stereomour II kit in the summer of 2019. But it wasn’t really until summer 2020 that I started working on it, very slowly! I finished up in early November 2020, and meant to post here... but didn’t... UNTIL NOW!

I probably spent more time fussing with the base and the top plate than anything else. I reinforced the corners of the alder base with festool domino tenons. I originally finished it with a precatalyzed lacquer, but I wasn't happy. I tweaked the color a bit with a lacquer toner, and was still unsatisfied. So I stripped all the lacquer off. I then coated it with a silver acrylic based enamel. I’ve lived with that so far, but I’m thinking of stripping that off too, and veneering, or perhaps a new solid wood base.

I purchased some keystone (#708) right angle brackets via digi-key to secure the top plate to the wood base.

I used VHT wrinkle coat paints on the top plate, main trafo, and chokes. I know wrinkle coat is a pain to keep clean (believe me I know), but I love the look on old projectors and radios.

This was my first build. I had looked for quite a while at different 2a3 (and 300b) schematics, but I was more than a little overwhelmed. A kit seemed right for me for a first time build. I have purchased but not yet done the shunt regulator and DC upgrade kits. I wanted to live with/break in the amp for awhile before making changes. I'm looking at eventually changing the caps too, I know a lot of people on here have gone with Clarity MR.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 10:04:49 AM
Nice looking build!

Aaron Johnson

Deke609

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 10:27:24 AM
Wow! Looks great. Congrats!

cheers, Derek

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 10:51:04 AM
That wrinkle paint looks cool. I checked out a couple of vids on how to use, did you bake or use a heat gun to cure?

Lee R.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 11:11:09 AM
Very nice!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline AstromanoftheFuture

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 11:24:58 AM
That wrinkle paint looks cool. I checked out a couple of vids on how to use, did you bake or use a heat gun to cure?

I figured that the summertime Phoenix, Arizona sun was enough to bake it.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 05:39:12 AM
That finish is great, I think it was worth the wait.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Markkr

Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 01:44:38 PM
WOW! That looks amazing. Makes me want to refinish mine