Finished my build:

canonken · 2667

Offline canonken

on: April 24, 2021, 09:26:12 AM
Plain Watco Danish Oil for the wood, nice looking wood.  I am happy with how the bell housing turned out.  It is 'black' but had the crinkle texture and a little flake inside to give it some depth.  Happy I did not just do black spray paint (though that would look fine and be easier to match in the future if I did additional builds).  Nothing fancy, but happy for my first go at this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-12-oz-Hammered-Black-Protective-Spray-Paint-7215830/100146848

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 10:28:04 AM
That looks lovely!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 06:42:39 AM
Looks great, right in the spirit of the Doctor is In videos.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline canonken

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 07:14:54 AM
Thanks!

Great video, subscribed, and those McMaster Carr 'books' bring back memories.  I had an uncle that would get them for me when I was a kid, I think they charged you or you needed to be a commercial customer to get them free (he was a customer).

That would be the very can I have.  The shade of the wood (with the Danish Oil) and metal plate are a perfect complement.  Has an old aviation vibe to it.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 08:32:43 AM
Nice clean build, Ken. I'll bet it sounds pretty darn good too.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 09:18:48 AM
Nice looking build, enjoy!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 09:26:44 AM
McMaster still sends those fat damned catalogs every year. What a waste of trees. It's far easier to search for an item on their most excellent website. And I love being able to get all those weird parts overnight. Just about every order I send in for kit parts has a part or two for my race bike tagged onto it. One stop shopping for Doc.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 03:29:22 PM
McMaster still sends those fat damned catalogs every year. What a waste of trees. It's far easier to search for an item on their most excellent website. And I love being able to get all those weird parts overnight. Just about every order I send in for kit parts has a part or two for my race bike tagged onto it. One stop shopping for Doc.

I bought some special clean room approved labels from uline a few years ago and the won't stop sending me a giant catalog a couple of times a year. And as soon as they are delivered they go right in the recycling bin. Grainger used to do the same thing but finally got smart and made their catalogs by request only.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 05:01:36 AM
Yup, Uline is even worse. Speaking of videos, we have a shoot for the next one scheduled this week. This one will be about how all the various bits of hardware assemble and mount on the chassis panel.

Ken, re your mention of the old aviation look - I hadn't thought of that but you are right! I love looking at stuff like the "naked" Curtiss Jenny reproduction at the Museum of Flight, all wood and sheet metal.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline canonken

Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 01:13:42 PM
Exactly - very much a pre-war feel.

If I order an Eros, I'll ask for you to throw a spare McMaster Carr catalog in there, too ;)

Offline Karl5150

Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 06:10:14 AM
Very nice, the Reduction was also my first BH kit. Enjoy what it does for your vinyl collection.
If you haven't yet, do consider the Integration. The extra gain alone can be worth the price of admission on low powered systems. Just my $0.02.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline canonken

Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 06:14:04 AM
I'm thinking about just doing the Eros 2 next!