How to fix issues with a 6080?

mtheshark90 · 686

Offline mtheshark90

on: May 09, 2021, 06:38:23 AM
Problem:
My Tung Sol 6080 seems to be a bit finicky, possibly damaged. If I hit my desk too hard or bump it enough, there's a sudden loud static and metallic clinking noise that will come through the left headphone channel. If I let the tube cool down, pull it out and shake it, I can hear metal bits moving just a bit, but then this seems to "reset" the tube and it will work. The next time I hit my desk, the problem reoccurs. I've swapped out to different tubes and have not been able to reproduce the issue, so I'm convinced it's only my Tung Sol.

Do I just have to buy a new one?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 06:50:49 AM
You can keep using the tube.  What you're experiencing isn't particularly abnormal, nor is it an indicator of an issue. The bits (which are likely glass) that you hear rattling around are unrelated to this issue.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline larcenasb

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 05:11:52 AM
I check these pages almost daily, and continue to learn more and more about general problem solving (not just with amps) from you, Paul. Thanks for all you do. :)

Lowell B.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 05:30:34 AM
You're very welcome, we are glad you are here.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Online Thermioniclife

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 05:45:53 AM
Checking the forum often is a great way to keep me off the streets.

Lee R.

Offline mtheshark90

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 08:58:45 AM
Interesting, thanks for the response, Paul. Out of curiosity, what causes this issue? I assumed that by bumping my desk I was causing an inappropriate connection somewhere in the tube, leading to the sound issue. I can't explain why only the Tung Sol does it, though.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 10:00:46 AM
The cause of the issue is the bits inside the tube itself moving around.  If you end up with a Mainline, all 6C45 tubes tend to do this, but they ring at a pretty high frequency.

Paul "PB" Birkeland