Still impresses me...

Sp33ls · 1866

Offline Sp33ls

on: May 17, 2021, 06:41:35 PM
Just wanted to share a thought... I've had my Kaiju for a few years now, and have had several other power amps rotate in and out during this period of time.

I'm now down to some mid-to-late 70's Pioneer Exclusive gear (boutique, Japan domestic only) and the Kaiju. The old Class A Pioneer gear is probably the most "tube-like" SS gear I've heard so far. But, it's funny how whenever I swap back to the Kaiju (currently using the Psvane WE 300B replica tubes), I'm always reminded by how natural the music sounds coming out of this 8W kit.

Then, it got me thinking... I bet you could stack the Kaiju up against other new amps costing much more than itself and it wouldn't miss a beat. It also makes me curious if anyone here in the forums have some fun stories about just that situation happening too. 😁

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 04:01:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jonathan.lesser

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 06:31:16 AM
Doc, what is the complexity of the Kaiju kit compared to the Mainline kit?

Jon Lesser

Offline Larpy

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 06:48:17 AM
I'm not Doc, but I've built both.  The Mainline probably has more connections to solder, including a fair amount of Cat5 wiring.  But if you've built a Kaiju, you can definitely build a Mainline.  Neither is what I'd call a beginner's kit.

They sound very different to my ears, however.  The Kaiju wears its tube pedigree more obviously; the Mainline sounds much less tubey to me. 

Larry

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 06:53:01 AM
The Kaiju will be a bit easier to build.  We have more intermediate checks along the way that aren't really possible in the Mainline, and the attenuators and complex input/output wiring aren't present on a Kaiju.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 08:12:55 AM
Yup, if you can build one you can build the other.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jonathan.lesser

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 08:48:01 AM
Thank you everyone for your response. I’m really enjoying the main line kit and I’m fantasizing about building the Kaiju

Offline Sp33ls

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 08:57:59 AM
The Kaiju is an awesome kit -- highly recommended. I came from the Crackatwoa.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 04:25:27 PM
I’m a Pioneer Exclusive fan too. My TT is an Exclusive P3 and I’ve owned the C-Z1/H-Z1/M-Z1 line. The new beepre finally got the C-Z1 out of the system (need to get around to selling it) and Paramounts to Kaiju replaced the M-Z1’s.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Sp33ls

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 08:40:35 PM
How would you compare the BeePree2 & Kaiju combo to the C-Z1/M-Z1?

I've got the Exclusive C3 & M4 (and also a M-22). The C3 (restored) is the best solid state pre-amp I've heard to date. I'm also.just trying to keep myself from jumping on the BeePree2 until after I move later this year. :)

Offline johnsonad

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 02:03:54 AM
The C-Z1/M-Z1 combo was special and the best SS I've ever listened to.  Unfortunately I smoked one of my M-Z1's and Pioneer Japan couldn't repair it.  I've not directly compared the two systems but I wish I had a pair of M-Z1's still.

The BeePre1 couldn't replace the C-Z1 but the 2 has and the combo with the Kaiju makes me happy.  I recommend the BeePre2 with upgrades when the time is right for you.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Sp33ls

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 09:46:21 AM
Sorry to hear about that! They're special units for sure.

Do you still have the unit stashed away somewhere, or did you end up selling it or tossing it out?

Offline johnsonad

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 04:08:29 PM
I’ve sold the M-z1’s and the H-Z1. If you get a chance to get hear a good working pair, I  think you will like them.

Aaron Johnson