Assembly help? some questions...

hoy83 · 365

Offline hoy83

on: June 29, 2021, 04:29:09 AM
Hi, just bought the bottlehead crack for my HD800S, the kit hasn't arrived yet, but I just read through the downloadable manual/instructions. Just have a couple of questions coming from somebody who has no experience in soldering/electronics.

1. On page 22 of the manual, bottom part, it says to test the switch with my meter? I assume that's the multi-meter? (I bought a china made fluke). I'm assuming I should use the red and black leads of the multi-meter.. where should I stick the red lead to and where should I stick the black lead to "test" the switch? The manual says it should read low resistance in the "on" position and overlimit (what's overlimit?) in the "off" position. And where should I turn my fluke to on the middle dial? (the dial reads V, then another V with dashed lines above it, mV, an ohm sign, a sign which looks like horizontal T's, A, mA and A with a symbol beside it), on another note, where should I connect my black and red leads to on the multi-meter, it has 4 sockets, 2 red sockets on the left that says A (10A fused) and mA (4oomA fused), then a black socket labelled COM (1000V CatII, 600V Cat III) and another red socket on the rightmost labelled V with an ohm sign.

2. on page 23, should I use the alligator clip-on probes and then attach it to the leads of my multi-meter, then connect black lead to N of the IEC inlet and then the red to L on the IEC inlet?

3. Is the manual serious about electric shocks that could stop a heart? I thought this was an easy assembly, not downright fatal. should I wear rubber gloves or something? wear rubber shoes?

Anyway, thanks in advance to whoever replies. Sorry for the newbie-like post.

Offline erick.lehnert.baron@gmail

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 05:19:00 AM
Hi Newby,

I have completed a Moreplay and a SEX in the last 6 months. My prior experience was with Heathkits some 40 years ago. You should receive some very good recommendations here in the next few days, but I would like to add a few of my own here...
- Get to know your multi meter. There are many tutorials available on-line. I used a $30 multimeter that worked just fine. Pay attenion to the scale used..ie..20-Ohms vs 200-Ohms. Every time I thought I had a problem was because I was trying to read the wrong scale.
- Practice soldering on disposable transistors, soldering posts, wires, etc. Get to where you plan a solder joint, and then complete it in 3-4 seconds. Chorographe each joint before applying heat. A good solder joint will be very satisfying. Use a good soldering station - they are not expensive.
- Highlight the tips in the manual. Highlight the resistance and voltage tests in your manual. Highlight the multimeter scale for each test. Be methodical in your progression thru the build process.
- Finally - Pay close attention to the safety recommendations. Any current passing thru your left arm can possibly ruin your day. these recommendations are your friend.
- Go slow, enjoy the voyage, be proud of your work.

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 06:22:30 AM
The assembly is easy, but you still have to respect live electricity. You won't need rubber gloves ever, and you won't need to take additional precautions while you're building and soldering (except the soldering iron and solder get very hot, obviously). You will need to be careful when you're running the voltage tests since it'll be plugged in and turned on at that time. Follow the instructions, use clip on leads, be careful about what you touch the leads to, wear rubber shoes, wait for the capacitors to discharge before touching anything with your hands.

The only time I ever shocked myself was a total idiot move on my part. I unplugged my amp and moved it, but my fingers were underneath the chassis and hit a capacitor. Totally avoidable.

Take your time, go slowly, and be intentional. You'll be fine.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 07:30:41 AM
You are going to use the black COM and the red V ohm jack for your test leads. Here's some tips on how an ohmmeter works, from our youtube channel:

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.