Parasex output cap suggestions?

ToolGuyFred · 3539

Offline ToolGuyFred

on: December 13, 2010, 03:24:51 AM
My Parasex amps have had almost every component swapped for a boutique part (particularly like the Magnequest all-nickel outputs). I still have the original output caps (Solens, I think). Any thoughts on upgrades?

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:56:14 AM
Fred,

If the Parasex is like the SEX the voltage needed is 630V.  How about some Audio Note, Mundorf, V-Cap Teflons or my perennial cheap favorites the Obbligato PP film in Oil.

The key is that caps are very much a personal taste thing.  What floats your boat might not do it for me.  What are you interested in hearing from your system?

This should be in the Legacy section.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 01:36:18 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 10:31:08 PM
Hi Grainger

Thanks again for your input.

This question arose as a result of becoming a Lowther owner about 3 years ago (Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3 drivers). Most program sounds brilliant but some material (with a lot of sibilants) has a little HF "tizz" which isn't there when I listen through headphones. (The Lowthers can be ruthlessly revealing.) This may of course be nothing to do with the power amps or speakers - am still s/s for my preamp, I haven't got around to building my Foreplay yet - but that's another story. (See post elsewhere.)

I like Audio Note paper-in-oils (haven't heard any of the latest generation of film in oils yet). Used to have ANs as inter-stage caps on the parasex amps. Swapped them for Auricap film and foils and was surprised to hear very little difference. I did a lot of cap comparisons about 15 years ago when I was developing a s/s headphone amp:
  • I dislike most stuff described as "metallized" (although I think the Solens are in this category - perhaps they use more metal?).
  • Most things with "foil" in the name are worth a try.

Had a quick look at your suggestions. Apart from the price, Teflon stuff seems to take an ice age to run in. (I have some home-rolled Teflon interconnects inspired by Allen Wright's "Supercables Cook Book" - very nice but boy did they take some time to sound their best.) The Obligato caps look worth a punt. It would least indicate whether the caps in that spot have a significant effect on the sound.

Will post when I've tried these.

John
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 12:25:52 AM
The Obbligato caps will surprise you.  Even if they are not to your taste you will be surprised at how nice they sound for the price.  I can't remember anyone who tried them who were offended by theri sound  (DIY HiFi Supply and Parts ConneXion sell them)  I am suggesting the cheapest cap they sell (Polypropylene Film in Oil).  The sound is smooth a little warm and detailed.  They are not metalized.

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:15:30 AM
Just ordered a pair of Obbligato 3u3F 630V Copper caps.

John

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 01:05:21 PM
Hope you have all had a good Christmas.

Caps arrived on Christmas Eve. Since then have been shopping, on taxi duties (my Mom's , her Mom's) and the traditional Boxing Day clay shoot (a bit chilly, snow on the ground and -7 or 20 of your degrees Farenhiet). Just soldered in the caps and initial impressions are very promising. The nasty emphasized sibilants have gone, leaving the smooth detail I was after. A bit late to turn up the volume (midnight here) so will report back when I have a few more hours on the clock and I have turned the wick up.

John