Help with plug orientation

denti alligator · 3948

Offline denti alligator

on: July 23, 2021, 06:20:03 AM
I made two of these cords. The hardest part was getting the heat shrink sealed at the narrow end. The first time the tech flex burned away. Had to use duct tape to fix. The second time I was super careful not to repeat this error but that meant not getting a perfect seal like in the assembly pics. But oh well, it’s done.

Now I haven’t actually tried these yet. One will go to my Stereomour/Crack (they sit next to each other and I’ll switch the cord depending on which one I’m using). The other will go to my Eros. But here’s the rub: the right angle of the plug and the place where I keep my Eros prevent me from plugging it in. See pic.

I thought about remove the right-angle plug and attaching a straight one (this would also allow me to redo the heat shrink that I messed up), but even that wouldn’t fit vertically in that space. I need the right-angle but the orientation needs to be 90 degrees clockwise. I could of course move the amp 90 degrees counterclockwise, but aesthetics matter (especially to my wife) so I’d rather come up with another solution. I tried to find an adapter, but can only find ones with a cord, which defeats the purpose. There are 90 degree adapters, but these don’t do the trick. It would need to be an adapter the turns the prongs 90 degrees on the horizontal plane.

The other option is to drill a hole in the back of the unit. Again, my wife would kill me. Ideas?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline pechelman

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 08:18:35 AM
I had a similar problem with a few pc kits that i ordered for some non-bottlehead amps and one custom built one that PB helped on.  None of the right angles were in my favor with as some ran into transformers or were obscuring other jacks on the back.  As it turns out, I wasnt able to find anyone that made a differently oriented angled connector, Schurter certainly didnt. 

However, I did find these rewireable sockets that are configurable from a LEFT/RIGHT but also in an UP/DOWN.  They also have a lock that engages on the long ground pin, but can easily be removed if you dont need/want it.  Without the lock they arent the most secure of connections but are good enough for a static item sitting on a shelf.  I'd also rather unplug a cord than yank an electronics box off a shelf.

The one semi-downside is that the screw connections and copper contacts are a good less beefy feeling than the one provided by bottlehead (schurter in my kits).

Hope this helps.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/631-820893 (up/down)
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/631-820892 (right/left)

Phil

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 05:39:42 AM
I combined two 90-degree adapters.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 05:40:17 AM
It works!

- Sam