Connecting Foreplay III to headphone amp

Anton · 2607

Offline Anton

on: December 13, 2010, 11:50:53 AM
Hello,
I just finished building Foreplay III kit. Really enjoyed it, it was my second Bottlehead kit (I built Eros before that) -- so it was much faster this time.

So I asked Granger this question : Foreplay III has 2 outputs. One is used to feed power amp. Another one, manual says, can be used to feed active subwoofer. I was wondering - can this second output be used to feed headphone amp? That way if I decide to build headphone amp (SEX or Crack)  in future, I don't have to swap interconnects every time I want to use headphones.

He told me that not only does it work but he doesn't think anyone else has mentioned this use for them. So I decided to post it here - probably somebody will find this useful.

Thank you

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline pro_crip

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:10:49 AM
Thanks for posting that, I'm planning on using my crack as the headphone output of my system. I figured, yeah, I could probably put a headphone jack somewhere on my paramounts (when they finally get built) but I wanted an excuse to build another kit.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline Bill Chase

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 11:18:46 AM
I have been running in this configuration for a few months now.  The first set of outputs run to my Paramounts, the second to the Crack w/650's.  Running it through the Foreplay gave the sound a bit more weight, but it allowed me to use more of the volume control on the Crack.  I really liked not having to switch interconnects!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:20:18 AM by Bill Chase »

Bill Chase
Digital music collection enjoyed thru:
   Mac Mini to Jolida Glass DSD DAC
   BeePre & Stereomour I
   Seductor EL84 Amp
   DecWare Ultra Preamp w 5x Paramount 300Bs with Magnequest Iron
   Crack with Speedball
   SEX v1
Guitars and Ukulele enjoyed by Tode