Bottlehead crack crosstalk issue

iTM_Havok · 1609

Offline iTM_Havok

on: August 12, 2021, 05:45:41 PM
Hello, I recently bought a used bottlehead crack with the speedball upgrade from the AVexchange sub-Reddit. but for some reason audio that’s only supposed to be in the left channel is in the right channel and vice versa. does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I hope it’s not the wiring because I have no experience soldering 😅

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 05:50:14 PM
Can you post some photos of the build? If you pull out the left RCA cable, do you at least only get audio in one channel?  How about the right RCA cable?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline iTM_Havok

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 06:22:16 PM
Can you post some photos of the build? If you pull out the left RCA cable, do you at least only get audio in one channel?  How about the right RCA cable?
just tested that and I still hear audio in both channels with only one RCA plugged in. sure, here's some photos of the build.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 06:33:16 PM by iTM_Havok »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 06:53:10 PM
just tested that and I still hear audio in both channels with only one RCA plugged in. sure, here's some photos of the build.

Does this hold true for just using the left jack and just using the right jack?

Can you post a picture of the plug on your headphones that you're plugging into the amp?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline iTM_Havok

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 07:02:47 PM
Does this hold true for just using the left jack and just using the right jack?

Can you post a picture of the plug on your headphones that you're plugging into the amp?
Yes it does. I'm using a 4-pin XLR cable with my 6XX and a 1/4" adapter.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:57:03 PM by iTM_Havok »

Offline Deluk

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 01:08:52 AM
Just a guess, I'd say that the XLR adaptor is shorted. You should be able to easily check that with a meter. Why are you using that? It looks as if you have the original headphone jack.

Offline iTM_Havok

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 07:03:31 AM
Just a guess, I'd say that the XLR adaptor is shorted. You should be able to easily check that with a meter. Why are you using that? It looks as if you have the original headphone jack.
I’m using the adapter because it makes switching between my Burson soloist 3XP and crack easier. but I’ll try using the original cable that came with the 6XX and see if that fixes it.

Offline iTM_Havok

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 09:56:53 AM
Just tried using the cable that came with the 6XX and the crosstalk is still happening.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 11:12:28 AM
Can you post some more detailed photos of the headphone jack wiring?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline iTM_Havok

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 01:20:39 PM
Can you post some more detailed photos of the headphone jack wiring?
sure, here's some more photos of the headphone jack wiring and where the wires go to.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 01:23:17 PM by iTM_Havok »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 01:26:42 PM
The "O" pads on the bigger Speedball board look like they might be wired together, which they shouldn't be.  That would combine both channels at the output and cause your problems. This would definitely be the first time anybody has ever done that...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline iTM_Havok

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 01:42:42 PM
The "O" pads on the bigger Speedball board look like they might be wired together, which they shouldn't be.  That would combine both channels at the output and cause your problems. This would definitely be the first time anybody has ever done that...
which photo is that in? also, is that something that can be easily fixed if I send my amp to bottlehead to be repaired?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 01:48:18 PM
Carefully unscrew the two screws that hold the larger PC board to the amp, then let it lay down and post a photo of the wires on the bottom of the amp.

This is a repair you can do on your own.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline iTM_Havok

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 02:14:06 PM
Carefully unscrew the two screws that hold the larger PC board to the amp, then let it lay down and post a photo of the wires on the bottom of the amp.

This is a repair you can do on your own.
I unscrewed the larger PCB board from the amp. do you mean take photos of the wires under the larger PCB? I can't do this on my own if I need a soldering iron... I don't own one.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 02:18:10 PM
Unscrew that PC board and lay it down, then post a photo of the wires on the bottom.  If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, you'll just need some kind of cutter.

Paul "PB" Birkeland